I am having septoplasty done.

I am having septoplasty done as i cannot breath through my nose well but my nose is also crooked and can be seen crooked right side and it is very apparent i was wondering if there will be any change of this after my septoplasty surgery?

Septorhinoplasty Surgery

A septoplasty is performed to correct a deviated nasal septum which can cause disruption to your breathing. By correcting the deviated septum, the visible crooked part of the septum at a base view may look straighter. However, to correct a deviated nose from the front view a septorhinoplasty is recommended. A septorhinoplasty combines septoplasty and rhinoplasty surgery. This procedure straightens the nasal septum and addresses cosmetic concerns. Before undergoing your septoplasty procedure, make sure your surgeon understands your aesthetic goals. Best of luck with your procedure.

Crooked nose and septoplasty

Correction for a very bent septum will help you breathe better and sometimes shows changes to the deviation of the nose, especially if the bottom of the septum is crooked (the base view- what you see if you were looking from the ground up the nose).  However, usually a rhinoplasty is needed to fully straighten the nose.

Best of luck

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will a septoplasty help straighten my nose?

Hello Ai123 - Thanks for your question.  Done properly, a septoplasty can be performed to open up the airway and straighten the nose as well.  Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Functional septoplasty for breathing, Cosmetic rhinoplasty to straighten the crooked nose

A septoplasty is performed for medical necessity to improve airflow dynamics through the nose when there is twisted bone and cartilage blocking airflow.  A Septoplasty is performed in the back of the nose and will not change the shape of it. A cosmetic rhinoplasty is performed to straighten the crooked nose. To straighten crooked nose requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones,  a spreader graft placed in the midportion of the nose underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage, and a tip rhinoplasty  when the tip cartilages are crooked. For more information and many  before and after examples of crooked nose repair, please see link and the video below