I had lip fillers , under the skin in upper lip area there are two bumps is this normal?

I had lip fillers a few days ago but only in my top lip(0.5)and now in the upper lip area under the skin there are two bumps, I'm hoping that it is just swelling but I'm not entirely sure, is this normal ?

Bumps on lips

Hello, occasionally lumps can appear after lip fillers due to swelling and bruising and deposit of the product. Usually, the bumps do subside within 3-6 months. If the bumps are effecting the appearance of the lips or are sore and uncomfortable, you may want to have the substance dissolved with hyaluronidase.  Keep an eye on the lumps over the next two weeks and book in for a follow up appointment if they are still there after the initial swelling has subsided. If the bumps become red, tender or pussy this may be a sign of infection in which case antibiotics may be required as well as removal of the filler.

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. This sounds like it may be swelling, but without an examination and photos it is difficult to say for sure.  Bumps can appear after injections, but can easily be massaged away by the doctor who injected you. Swelling is normal and can last for a week or so, if it does not go away and you are still concerned, make a follow up appointment with your doctor. Best, Dr. Green 

Lip injections

Thank you for your question.  Be sure to follow up with your injector.  I have my lip injections follow up in 1-2 weeks to assess any lumps/bumps and fix any asymmetry that may be present after the swelling goes down.   Be sure not to manipulate the product yourself.   Best of luck to you!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Bumps post Lip Injections

Thank you for your inquiry. This sounds as though it may be swelling but it is difficult to know for sure without examination or photos. Bumps and lumps may appear post injection and can be easily massaged away by your injector or dissolved with hyaluronidase. Be sure to follow up with your surgeon. Regards,

Lumps and Bumps after Lip Augmentation with Fillers (Juvederm, Restylane)

This sounds like swelling, but it's hard to say without a picture. Swelling is normal and can last 1-2 weeks after your injections. If you remain concerned, contact your injector. Best, Dr. Emer

Issue after Lip Augmentation

Tanya.   Hard to say without photos or physical exam. If filler was used, the bumps may be able to be massaged away by your injecting doctor. If issue persists try consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Thank you for sharing your question.  In the first few days after filler placement small lumps or bumps can be noticed in the lips, especially when the tissues are stretched.  If small these will soften and disappear in the first 2-3 weeks after treatment.  I know waiting is difficult but allow your result to mature.  If the lumps remain, you can have the material dissolved with a small in-office procedure.  Best wishes.

Bumps in lips after filler

These will almost always settle down. Wait at least 10-14 days to see if these go away before visiting your doctor. If they remain, a small dose of hyaluronidase might be needed. Very light massage might be helpful now. See link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Post lip filler

Tanya, great question.  If it was done a few days ago, I would not be concerned.  Contact your injectors office as they know the technique that was done for placement of the filler as well as how much was placed in which areas - this may be completely expected or they may want you to start massaging, for example.  The lips are very delicate - think of how much your lips swell when you bite your lip accidentally.  Now realize the changes that will happen when you actively place product in them.  Remember, while this may settle down and be normal, without pictures or knowing how/what product/etc, its hard for me to give you a definitive answer.  As I mentioned, don't feel as though you can't contact your doc's office - feel free to keep them updated on the changes that you are seeing.  

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon