I have been itching/scratching 3 weeks post op? (Photo)

I had a transplant done in turkey (around 2000 grafts) in the front & crown. I am 26 years old. I have been itching and scratching around my head both the crown and frontal area at around 2 weeks post op. I was not aware that I could not itch this far in, and I am concerned I may have affected my results? - I have not seen any grafts fall out, although it seems that the transplanted areas have 100% shredded (is this normal) - I am 3 weeks post op

I have been itching/scratching 3 weeks post op?

Greetings.

Fat tissue obtained from own body of the patient is processed and enriched from adipose tissue derived stem cells with the Cihantimur Fat Transfer Technique which uses closed circuit system. The recipient area that the “Organic Hair Transplantation” will be performed is sterilized and the mixture containing adipose tissue derived stem cells is injected to the area. The volume of the scalp is increased and nutrition process begins. Meanwhile hair grafts are extracted from the donor site with use of micro bistoury.

The extracted hair grafts then classified according to their types and prepared for the transplantation process. In order to get the most natural result the angles of the hair canals are determined precisely. The donor site is dressed after the “Organic Hair Transplantation” process is completed which will be removed the following day. The recipient area is left as open.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Itching 3 weeks post

It is never a good idea to scratch the scalp-whether after a transplant or not- your fingernails harbor bacteria and if the skin is broken from scratching, you can introduce that bacteria to your scalp, grafts, etc. A mild OTC hydrocortisone cream can used on itchy areas for a few weeks to calm down the itching sensation. It is likely just dryness on the scalp following the procedure. Not uncommon.

Dow Stough, MD
Hot Springs National Park Dermatologic Surgeon

Scratching 2 weeks after hair transplant

I certainly wouldn't scratch your scalp for at least 2 more weeks. At this time, using a spray bottle with water and squirting your scalp can help as well as taking an antihistamine. Consult your surgeon for additional questions and follow up.

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is best to contact your doctor if you are having issues after surgery. It is also normal to shed transplanted hairs

It is best to contact your doctor if you are having issues after surgery.  It is also normal to shed transplanted hairs weeks after surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Itching/scratching 3 weeks post op

2 weeks post op.itching and scratching around your transplant area  (both the crown and frontal) means healing...Do not scratch forcefully , I recommend my patients to use antihistaminics to alleviate itching

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Itching

When there is itching it is a sign of healing. Scratching it is a no no, because it could induce folliculitis so be sure not to scratch. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

It is possible

you damaged the transplant but it is hard to tell without a follow up. The best thing to do is stay in close contact with your doctor and do follow ups.  

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist