Be honest - are there more pros than cons of having rhinoplasty?

I have a consultation booked for rhinoplasty in 3 weeks time. I would like the dorsal hump removed. I have read some horror stories on here which has made me question doing this so many times! But on the other hand I think about my nose constantly and always have since the age of 12. In all honesty, what is the likelihood of some serious deformity or problem occurring following surgery? My consultation is with a top doctor on real self - and he is expensive so I am not skimping on the price.

Expert Rhinoplasty Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Kayleigh9099, Since you are choosing a realself surgeon I will assume that you have read the surgeons realself reviews and if a large portion of those reviews are regarding rhinoplasty surgery then your surgeon likely denotes a large portion of his/her practice to this speciality. Once in consultation have imaging performed to show you the proposed results to make sure you and your surgeon are on the same page regarding your desired result. Last and certainly not least make sure you review hundreds of before and after photographs to ensure that your surgeon performs natural looking rhinoplasty results on noses similar to yours. With these steps you should be able to make a well informed decision. Rhinoplasty is one of the most rewarding procedures for patients when performed by a skilled and artistic surgeon. In the video above and over sixty more you can see patients reactions when their splint is removed that will show you how life changing this procedure can be as well as before and afters in the link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D,.

Hello Kayleigh9099 - Thanks for your question. The real chance of any serious deformity after rhinoplasty by a skilled surgeon is minimal. When all surgeons are considered, the chance of needing revision surgery runs anywhere from 30-50%. In the hands of an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, revision rates are less than 10%. Most revisions are performed to finesse the results and optimize the outcome. Postoperative disasters really only ever come from the combination of poor experience in the surgeon, poor planning, and poor surgical execution. Working with a rhinoplasty specialist in your area is the best thing to do. It may help to have several consultations before you pick your surgeon to make sure you vibe with them. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Pros and cons of a rhinoplasty procedure For eyelids now now worship Kirkland driven rhinitis a true she said previous surgery)

Rhinoplasty is a difficult endeavor, so it's very important to pick the right surgeon with extensive experience to minimize any complications. When removing the dorsal hump, osteotomies are usually required to narrow the bridge line and close the open roof created from the hump removal. Don't choose the most expensive surgeon, choose the most experienced surgeon producing natural results consistently.

Rhinoplasty

A rhinoplasty has a high patient satisfaction rating because it changes lives. Patients who have hated their nose finally get the nose that fits their face. Having said that, it also has a high rate of revision. It sounds as if you are already taking the steps that I would recommend -- scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with a lot of rhinoplasty experience whose work you like. Only you can decide if the risks are worth the pay off to you.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Honestly, if that is all you need ( a simple dorsal hump removal) using a closed rhinoplasty technique will minimize your risks for complications. However, if after examination it is determined that by removing the dorsal hump your nose will need to be narrowed  - you may need an open rhinoplasty. It really depends on your underlying bone structure and local tissues. Sounds like you are in the right direction by choosing a Board Certified plastic surgeon.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Pros vs cons of rhinoplasty

I understand that this is a big decision which can cause some hesitation.  However, you said that you have been thinking about this for years, so I think you owe it to yourself to meet with the surgeon to determine if this is a good option for you.  Complications can happen with any surgery, but if you do your research and chose a well qualified surgeon, the risk is much less.  

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD