Am I healing okay? Feel like there's no change why does it look like this? 8 days post-op (Photos)

looks so awful theres a side which looks more cut down then the other side i dont even know what iv got done wether its the wedge technique or the trim can anyone tell?does tend to bleed a little everyday is that normal?by day 8 am i aloud to put any soap like femfresh or anything to make it smell nice as i get this awful smell even when coming out the shower. also medication is messing up my stomach i think i can stop taking them as i dont get any severe pain is the less medication better?

Healing after labiaplasty

You are in the early stages of your recovery and its too early to be concerned about your final results.  You need to wait a few months and if asymmetry persists than you can address it.  Any bad odour or discharge warrants a review with your plastic surgeon to rule out any concerns.  Follow your surgeons post operative guidelines for cleaning the area.  Heavily scented soap products should be avoided as they will cause irritation.  Discuss your progress and concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Labiaplasty

Thank you for sharing.  You are still very swollen and that is normal.  Please be sure to check in with your surgeon to be sure your healing properly.  Be sure to choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in Labiaplasty.

Labia resection and swelling

Sorry for the late reply, but hopefully you've been in to see your surgeon already. If there's a bad odor you need to make sure there isn't an infection.

Looks like you had long labia resected without concern for an aesthetic outcome. The remaining labia are asymmetric and you have prepuce (hood) that was not addressed. The sutures appear to be strangulating your swollen tissues so perhaps selective removal or release of some of these sutures may be helpful. This would also allow you to heal with less scarring. 

You will very likely want a revision. When this time comes be sure to do your research and choose a surgeon with experience and competency in revision Labiaplasty.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD

Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

The Center for Female Pelvic Medicine and Cosmetic Surgery®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Post-op labial appearance changes day-by-day in the first month

...Looking better than it was a few days ago. Labiaplasty recovery is a true "...work in progress..." My suggestions: 1) you should be communicating with your surgeon. 2) Please WAIT until you are 6 weeks (!) post-op. Then, if you are dissatisfied, send us photos, not "...day-by-day..." Regarding your questions: ASK YOUR SURGEON!

Regards,

Michael P Goodman MD

Davis, CA, USA

Recovery

The incisions appear intact. The first few days after surgery, can be very scary for patients ( as you have discovered). I would ice the area daily and speak to your physician so that you can be reassured .  Once the swelling subsides, you can see the final results and make a decision if the surgery has met your goals. You can always have a revision in the future if you need to. There are other adjunctive things you can use like witch hazel packs and Dermaplast spray which can be very comforting to the area especially when it starts to itch in the next few days which is normal healing. I would advise following up with your surgeon with your concerns. 

Cheri Ong, MD, FACS

Why does your labiaplasty look and smell nasty?

Everything swells and distorts after labiaplasty. Some more than others, but the first week is worst. Fluids created by your body as it heals have an unpleasant odor. If the final result resembles your current appearance, you should consider a revision. However, the appearance usually improves radically in 6-8 weeks.

8 days post op

Thanks or sharing.  I am sorry that you are not happy with the results of your surgery at this time.  I too agree that your swelling is masking the final results and you will need to wait for5-6 weeks to see what those results will be.  Don't get me wrong you have a good idea what is going on and the basic results at this time.  That being said the good news is ( based upon my experience) your surgeon didn't get extremely aggressive and only performed a mild /gentle linear resection.  Often patients get a complete amputation and then there is nothing left over i.e. labia to shape on the revision surgery.   I suspect to get a balanced look in the future you may want to revise the labia minora and reduce the clitoral hood skin width aka lateral redundant prepuce.  This will narrow the shape of the minora and clitoral hood.  Sit back and wait and do not rush to a 2nd surgery.  Vet your  next surgeon well.  Do your due diligence before choosing a new surgeon and make sure they are well versed in revision labiaplasty aka botched labiaplasty revisions.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  Best of luck.      

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Am I healing okay?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry that your current results have not been what you anticipated.  Your surgeon performed a conservative trim labiaplasty whose incision appears intact.  The surgery did result in moderate swelling to your genital tissues which is currently masking your long-term results.  I know waiting is difficult but you need to allow at least 6-8 weeks to pass in order to see your final results. As each surgeon uses a different set of instructions for incision care I would talk to yours to get the best advice on your medications and odor.  Best wishes.