Hairs falling out 1 week after transplant. Any suggestions?

I had a hair transplant 9 days ago and I've noticed that when washing the area a lot of the hairs are falling out into the bath, these hair have no bulb attached. Is this normal? Or am I washing my hair and the scabs too hard? Day 9 and nearly all the scabs are gone. I've read about shedding but isn't 1 week too early to shed transplanted hairs?

What to expect after FUE

At about 2 weeks post FUE patients enter a resting phase where you start losing the hair shafts. It could happen anytime between 1 to 4 weeks. Don’t worry, the follicles stay behind firmly in the scalp and at about 2 months you will see new hair sprouting.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Transplanted hairs may shed days to weeks after surgery. If you believe something is not right, it is best to contact your docto

Transplanted hairs may shed days to weeks after surgery. If you believe something is not right, it is best to contact your doctor for a follow up.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thank you for posting your question. After day 8 or so, it is very common for hairs to start to shed. We see this as well on our practice. Normally starts around day 8 to 10. As long as you are following post-procedure protocols, and the grafts are falling off on their own, your should be fine. Hope this helps.

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Normal for Hair Shafts to Fall Out after Hair Transplantation #hairtransplantinseattle

• During the first several weeks after hair transplantation, you can expect the transplanted hair shafts to fall out.  This is normal. 
  • The hair follicles or bulbs remain in the scalp skin.  After several months, you'll begin to notice new hair growth from these transplanted follicles. 
  • Of all the operations we perform as plastic surgeons, hair transplantation is the one operation in which surgeons and patients alike need to be very patient after the procedure because it takes a long time before results are seen. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Hair falling out 1 week after surgery

It is totally normal for the transplanted hair to fall out after the procedure. We generally tell our patients it will happen in the first 2 weeks following surgery. This seems right on track.

Dow Stough, MD
Hot Springs National Park Dermatologic Surgeon

Graft shedding

This is normal and most of the grafts in most patients will be out in the first months or so. Then they go into 'sleep phase' called telogen and then they kick into anagen (growth phase) in about 4-6 months or so. What you are experiencing is normal

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

This sounds normal

but the truth is if you are not sure you should go in for a follow up as the  healing process should be delineated in your after care visits.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist