Hair transplant after care and wash; which method will give me the best results and help me keep more of the hairs?

I had my hair transplant on Monday, I've been told by my doctor how to go about washing it but I was told not to do so until the Friday, making that 4 days post op, although I have seen some doctors on this site recommending to wash it sooner, which method will give me the best results and help me keep more of the hairs?

For best results, it is best to follow your doctors instruction rather than trying to find Internet answers.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant after care

Late washing regimen does not affect the result of surgery and cause loss of grfats or decrease viability of them .İt just causes late cleaning of transplant area .

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Post op care after hair transplant

We have our clients follow a post op regiment which include cleansing gently the second day after the procedure. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Washing hair after the hair transplant surgery

You can wash your hair gently the day after the hair transplant surgery. But most of the time, patients are afraid of washing hair will make hair grafts popping up. So in my clinic, we recommend the patients come the day after surgery, and our technicians will help patients washing their hair. After then, they can do it by themselves .

Kwan Jou Chu, MD
Taiwan Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post operative care

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing. See example below of 4 days after hair transplant

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon