Hair shedding 2000 grafts; 6000 hairs front & mid-scalp w/ top hair transplant surgeon in UK now at day 31. Can I dye? (Photos)

Good not maximum density transplant. Previously recipient area diffuse thinning c.3000 hairs - first 7 days no shedding - next 10 days - shedding 20-30 hairs per day - hair washed in sink - c1000 hairs lost - last 14 days - minimal shedding in sink - transplanted hair is now 1/2 inch long - density ok and you can see scalp in certain lights as hair is only 1/2 inch long. Normal? Will coverage get better as hair gets longer- Can i use a little Toppik to improve density Can I dye hair ?

Post hair grafts - hair color and Toppik

You will never have the density you had when you were 20 therefore you will (under close examination), see your scalp.  Your hair post transplant is now ½ inch long if you let it grow out further it will give you some added coverage.  You may use Toppik.  As for coloring your hair, wait at least one month.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

6000 hairs front & mid-scalp

it is very early to assess teh density ..But I think you have hair transplant between native ones..yes, coverage get better as hair gets longer...you can use toppik but not use chemical dye before 3 months .seeing scalp under intense light is normal .. you can not reach the normal native hair density with  HT, no matter how many sessions you have...

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

There should be no issues with coloring your hair one month after surgery. If you are concerned it is best to

There should be no issues with coloring your hair one month after surgery.  If you are concerned it is best to ask your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shedding after a hair transplant

This is a condition we call shock loss and it happens more commonly to younger men. The treatment for this is discussed in the video below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair shedding after 2000 graft TP, and when to dye?

amanjayden23,

Normal hair has cyclical growth. That is characterized by Anagen the active growth phase where normally at any time about 90% of the hair reside. The remaining balance of the follicles are in the catagen and telogen phases. The transplanted hair starts to grow within the first week but usually will start to shed, and is done by the 4-5 week after the procedure. At this time the shedding should be done. The growth of the transplant should start within the next few months. I recommend that patients wait 2-4 weeks before cutting or dying their hair.

Sincerely,

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op care and growth after #hairtransplant

usually the hair shaft falls off with the scabs, the follicles remain and will start to grow in after four months. If you have healed, in four weeks time you can return to your normal routine. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon