Is this gynecomastia? (photos)

I am 40years,if YES whats you suggestion?

Doctor Answers 9

Is this gynecomastia? (photos)

I would recommend an in person consultation. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs many of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 288 reviews

Is this gynecomastia?

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

About Gynecomastia and the Treatment Options

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

This is gynecomastia

You have gynecomastia.  It will not harm you. It is not deterimental to your health.  However if you would like to get rid of it you will need surgery.  

Vasdev Rai, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 23 reviews


It is difficult to tell from a picture if this is gynecomastia or not. You need to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon to examine you and decide how you would best be treated. Also, if this is a change in your chest- often times you may be sent to an Endocrinologist to have blood work and ensure that there is not another reason that your chest or breasts are increasing in size. Good Luck with your evaluation.

Helen Perakis, MD
Nanuet Plastic Surgeon


Thank you for your question. In order to answer this accurately, an in person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. A physical exam is necessary to determine the etiology of your concern. This will help us in deciding if you would benefit from Gynecomastia surgery or Liposuction of the breast.

Good Luck!

Bernard Kopchinski, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Is this Gynecomastia?

Hello and thank you for your question.

You would need an in person consultation to determine if you have true gynecomastia. Prominence of the breasts in men isn't necessarily gynecomastia. True gynecomastia means that there is excess glandular tissue making the breasts prominent or enlarged. Some men who are on the heavier side may have an excess of fat in the breasts making them more prominent. Either condition can be very successfully treated if you so desire. I recommend you seek a board certified plastic surgeon for consultation regarding this matter. Best of luck to you!

David L. Cangello, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 14 reviews


It appears you have gynecomastia. Options include liposuction, direct excision with a scar near the nipple, or possibly a combination of both. It depends on your physical exam. Make sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia. Good luck!

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Is this gynecomastia?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate  as uncomfortable as gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. 

Generally speaking, liposuction surgery alone is useful to treat lipomastia (an enlarged chest secondary to adipose tissue); rarely does it suffices as the only modality of treatment when it comes to treating true gynecomastia. Most patients with gynecomastia benefit from direct excision of glandular tissue plus/minus peripheral liposuction surgery.

My best suggestion: get to where you want to be through healthy diet/exercise, if you are not already there.  Then, if you remain concerned about the appearance of the chest wall, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,487 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.