Gynecomastia surgery results - worried about swelling and creases. Is this likely to calm down and look normal? (Photo)

I had gynecomastia surgery 5 weeks ago. The left side has calmed down but on the right side I'm swollen, the tissue is extremely hard below the skin and I have 2 very noticeable creases. Is this likely to calm down and look normal? I'm worried that the creases will stay. Is there anything I can do to help soften the tissue and remove the creases? My surgeon told me not to start massaging yet, but that seems different to advice I've read being given to others online.

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia surgery results - worried about swelling and creases. Is this likely to calm down and look normal?

It appears that you still have a lot of swelling with some blood collection in the tissues. I would usually advise some massage at this time with warm soaks applications to hasten the resolution of the blood collection and to prevent permanent creases. I would advise you, however, to go with the advise of your surgeon who has operated on you and can examine you and tell you what's going on. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon