I'm 36 and would like gynecomastia breast reduction. Would it require fat suction as well as tissue removal? (Photo)

36 yr old healthy male, 83Kg weight, 180 cm height, troubled by my male boobs...looking to reduce through surgery, please advise if this would require fat suction as well as tissue removal, if the surgery would lead to permanent loss of sensation in chest and nipples and if a weight loss of 7-10Kg can shrink the chest automatically. Would the cut be made below the nipples or on the nipples itself and if one mechanism is more risky/effective than the other. Many Thanks

Generally Gynecomastia is enlarged gland of the breast, sometime it is associated with large amount of fat in the chest/breast area.
The treatment is partial excision of the gland and liposuction of the chest/breast area for proper contouring of the chest.

Gynecomastia options

It appears you likely have a fatty and glandular excess causing the gynecomastia. This can be removed with direct excision of the gland, and liposuction of the chest to improve the contour.  
Sensation changes expected are numbness for months.  Most if not all returns. 
Yes. Weight loss will help reduce the fatty tissue.  But the glandular tissue, that will not got away.  
I make one incision at the bottom of the areola.  In the vast majority of my patients I am able to remove the gland and perform all the lipo through that one incision. 
Definitely make an in-person consultation to evaluate your and discuss your options.
Hope that helps some and best wishes!
Dr Morales
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

What Type of Gynecomastia Surgery is Necessary?

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Reduction of gynecomastia

I would recommend liposuction and resection of the gland to give you the homerun you are looking for. The incision will be on the lower half of the areola, which will be imperceptible after the scar matures. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

More Surgical Options for Gynecomastia

Dear kumar08,

By your pictures, you have true gynecomastia. This can be easily ascertained by squeezing the tissue in noting that it is very hard like dense scar tissue as opposed to the fatty tissue underneath the skin of your abdomen. It is important you go to someone who has experience in this procedure. I developed a technique over the last 10 years involving no scar on the chest and do the entire procedure through a small incision in the armpit with no drainage tubes. You will have numbness in the area which should return 100% by six months’ time. The glandular tissue is removed as well as some of the fatty tissue in the periphery such that the thickness of fat in your upper chest should match the thickness of fat in the lower chest by six months’ time.

Paradoxically, weight loss usually makes the gynecomastia more prominent because the subcutaneous fat layer is reduced leaving the unchanged glandular tissue more prominent.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Breast fat and gland

In most people the central breast is glandular and it becomes more fatty as you get to the edge.  In most people, liposuction can be helpful to blend the transition between your gynecomastia excision and the normal surrounding fatty layers.  I believe liposuction would be a helpful tool in treating your specific problem.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Excision +/- liposuction for gynecomastia

For patients such as yourself, I usually recommend both surgical excision of glandular tissue as well as liposuction of unwanted fat.

The surgical excision is performed through a small incision that follows the lower border of the areola. Complete numbness of the areola is not a complication that I have encountered before. 

In addition, liposuction will help to contour the chest and highlight the borders of the pectoralis muscle. 

Without examining you, it's difficult to comment on the effects of a 7-10kg weight loss. I suspect that there would still be a significant amount of glandular tissue.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Fat removal as well as tissue removal is required for successful gynecomastia surgery

Gynecomastia is caused by combined fat and breast. Thus both need to be removed. Incision choice varies from surgeon to surgeon.
Weight loss will not work by itself.
Surgery will be needed. Your chosen doctor will need to discuss risks associated with surgery. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Gynecomastia Surgery

Losing weight may only reduce the fat content of the breast, it will not reduce breast tissue. True gynecomastia requires the combination of surgical excision of breast tissue along with liposuction for fat removal and sculpting. Rarely is there permanent loss of nipple sensation, occasionally there may be loss of sensation and it may take 6 months to return. The incision is around the areola and once it heals it is almost invisible. Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Gynecomastia breast reduction

Thank you for your question and you are a candidate for surgery. You will need both glandular resection and liposuction to achieve the result you want.  You might lose sensation on you nipples but this is one of the risks of this surgery. The incision will be done through the bottom half of you areola not through the nipple.  I would you see a board certified surgeon who can guide you through this process.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon