Can I do gyno surgery without skin excision? (photos)

I am 27, 5'10 and around 75-80kg (was over 100kg a year ago). I am not too comfortable with the scarring and complications that can arise with the skin excision portion of the surgery. I was thinking of perhaps, only getting the glands removed (and maybe some lipo, depending), going down to 65kg, then bulking to 80kg with muscles. Obviously this would result in some sagging and I won't get a completely flat chest, but has there been any success stories? Added pics.

About the Gynecomastia Surgical Techniques

There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you.

The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period.

Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Skin excision

An in person consultation is necessary.  While definite improvements could be accomplished with glandular resection and liposuction, I think it is more likely that you will need a skin excision as well.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

As long as you understand the likely outcome of not having a skin excision then there is no reason you can't try what you have suggested. Based on the photos it is highly likely that you would have excess skin that you'll want excised later but you may be able to improve that somewhat with a skin tightening adjunct like BodyTite to the liposuction. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon near you to see what your options are. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Skin excision

I reserve skin excision for men who have excess, hanging skin (almost always) as a result from rapid massive weight loss.  In situations like yours, it may make sense to proceed with lip and glad excision through the areola and wait 6 months to see how much you tighten.  Skin can always be excised if desired, but this way doesn't commit you to a large scar.

Tim Neavin, MD

Male breast reduction

That is really a tough decision to make without looking at the tissue. I think that it may be worth a shot to do aggressive life of suction and tissue excision through the areolar approach, but you will probably have excess skin. I would talk to a couple board-certified plastic surgeons in your area with experiencing this operation and I think they will give you an honest answer.Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Hi, congrats on your weight loss! That is amazing!, Unfortunately, in your case, it is almost impossible to leave good results without incisions. There are good ways to treat scars like tattoos that are made specially with your skin tone and would cover them. Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia surgery with skin excision

In my opinion you need to have skin excision. Your skin is not going to shrink on its own. Nor will you be able to build up enough muscle to "fill it up". 

Do I need skin excision?

Hi mar223,
Thanks for the post and photos. Based soley on the photos it appears that you have some skin laxity in the lower part of your breasts. This may not improve considerably with surgery and no skin excision. That being said, I always tell patients that the cure shouldn't be worse than the disease. By this I mean if you are uncomfortable taking your shirt off now because of your breasts, but after surgery you are uncomfortable taking your shirt off because of extensive scars, then was there any real improvement in your case? I recommend you seek out plastic surgeons who specialize in gynecomastia where a physical exam can be performed.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

#GynecomastiaReduction without Skin Reduction

In that you are young and probably have some residual elasticity which works in your favor, I would definitely consider just doing the removal of underlying redundant breast tissue and see how your skin shrinks on its own. Many of my patients have great results with just that surgery. After several months you can reconsider if it is worth doing skin excision.

Can I do gyno surgery without skin excision?

Congratulations on your successful weight loss. Based on your history and photographs, I do not think that you will be pleased with the outcome of gynecomastia surgery if you do not have some "skin excision" as well.  

Make sure that you make your decisions carefully; I will suggest that you meet with a few board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant  experience achieving the types of outcomes, with patient starting at your "starting point", that you will be happy with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.