Can a gummy smile treatment be fixed?

I had botox for the first time at 23 to treat a gummy smile 5 days ago. I requested the smallest dose to see if I liked it. She injected in 5 places. Either side of the bridge of my nose, either side of my nostrils and the middle of my upper lip. My lip is stiff, flat, droopy at rest and longer. My smile is long and doesn't go upwards. I look like I am grimacing. My nose scrunches up in the middle. Many people have asked what is wrong with my lip. Can anything be done? Is it going to get worse?

Botox for Gummy Smile

You may have had too much Botox injected.  There is no way to reverse this but the effect will wear off on its own.   Then consider treating again with a smaller amount of Botox.  I usually start with just two injections at the sides of the nose when I treat gummy smile with a total dose of 5 units.  I prefer to start low and add more if needed.

Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Gummy smile

It seems you were injected with too much material and in too many places. the treatment is to get the upper lip a little longer so that the gum wont show when you smile but this is probably too much. it cannot be reversed but will wear off in a few weeks and whenyou have it done again be sure your injector is a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Can a gummy smile treatment be fixed? = possibly but likely surgery required #fb #botox #gummysmile #drmesa

Botox applied in the upper lip as an off-label use could potentially make the upper lip to "move less" therefore improving the gummy smile in patients. However, it is possible that the movement of the upper lip could be impaired to the point that it doesn't move with facial animation, making the patient to have a "curtain-like upper lip" . This effect will last for 3  to 4 months which is the normal duration of the Botox

Patients with tummy smile very likely have excess of upper jaw bone (medical term: vertical maxillary excess). In these cases, the patients very likely require upper jaw surgery ( orthognatic surgery) to correct the physical finding).

Patients interested in correction of gummy smile with orthognatic surgery should make a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon specialized on orthognatic surgery or a craniofacial surgeon. 

John Mesa, MD

Will take some time

Your result will be fixed at about two weeks.
It is best to revisit with your injector and go over the doses and injection points to come up with a better solution for the next treatment and to see what can be done with the changes you describe.

Can a gummy smile treatment be fixed?

Thank you for your question. It sounds as though you will have to wait until the effects from the Botox wear away. This could take approximately 3 months. It is always good to visit your injector to discuss your results. Give 2 weeks for Botox to completely settle.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox for Gummy Smile

Botox can be used for a gummy smile but it sounds like you had too much Botox in that area and now have a poor result.  The Botox will take about 3 months to dissipate.  Please consult an expert for these advanced techniques. Best, Dr. Green

Gummy smile treatment Gone Wrong With Botox/Dysport

Unfortunately this cannot be reversed. It will take 2-3 months to resolve. I suggest moving the area as frequently as you can as this may help reverse the botox sooner.  Regardless, do not go to this person again.  The treatment for gummy smile is ~2 injections points at very low doses.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Can a gummy smile treatment be fixed?

Hi, I have used Botox and other neurotoxins for over 30 years including the treatment of a gummy smile.  If the effects are too strong try actively opening and closing the lips throughout the day.  This action will encourage the muscle to make new neuromuscular junctions more quickly.  The effects of Botox peak at 5 - 7 days, so take that into account when judging the results.  

Hope this helps.