My grafts have been growing but also shedding (Photo)

Hi I got a hair transplant in April 25 2016 at the frontal part of scalp.so I am coming up to 4 months now and there has been some good growth but when I apply oil or go to shampoo my grafts I seem to be finding hair on my finger tips my existing hair is growing fine it's just my grafts at the front that are still shedding is this normal for 4 months I also have been on propecia for 1yr

Sometimes you can have shock hair loss after surgery. If you are concerned you should see your doctor for a follow up exam.

Sometimes you can have shock hair loss after surgery.  If you are concerned you should see your doctor for a follow up exam.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shedding after a hair transplant

The native hair that remains may have undergone accelerated hair loss (called shock loss). See video below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Grafts shedding after transplant

It may be from the cycling effects of the hair. Hair goes through cycles of growth, resting and shedding. In the earlier part or the regrowth period, the cycling properties of the hair are not well established and can be erratic for that reason. I will recommend in consultation with your doctor to consider using topical minoxidil. This would influence the cycling of your hair in favor o the growth phase. This should result in less shedding.
That said, work out with your doctor excluding other causes of hair loss.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon