Will I need a full tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck? (Photo)

I weigh 119lbs and I am 158 cms. I have had 2 babies and have had 2 c-sections. No matter how hard I diet I cannot lose this bulge. Would a tummy tuck help and if so would I be looking at requiring a full or mini?

TT, full vs. mini?

Hi Shrimper

Although or maybe because you are in such great shape, it may seem unreasonable, but in my opinion, you would require a full tummy tuck.  I say this because your abdominal strength layer is stretched well above your navel (you have an umbilical hernia).  You have very little fat and some excess skin.  The mini tummy tuck will only tighten the fascia (strength layer) to the level of the navel, and hence, with a mini, I would expect that you would still have fullness/bulge above the navel.

All the best.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Based on your submitted photos you appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck procedure to produce beautiful overall results.  Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be further evaluated, discuss your surgical options, address your goals and then together create the surgical plan that will help you achieve the overall look you desire.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In this regard, I recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Will I need a full tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck?

After two children and 2 C sections you appear to me to be a very good candidate for a full tummy tuck.  The results from a mini are very compromised and not ideal for most women.  Review the video above for more information about the differences between full and minis and meet with local ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeons.  Enjoy....

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

TT vs mini TT

Thanks for your question and sending pictures. Based on your history and what I see in your pictures you need a full abdominoplasty procedure and not a mini. You  need muscle plication which is tightening of your muscles (from your rib cage down to pubic bone) that were stretch during pregnancy. You also have a small umbilical hernia that needs to be addressed. My recommendation is a full abdominoplasty because your abdominal bulge will not be treated with a mini. Good luck

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

There are a variety of surgical procedures or combinations that can produce good results in patients with abdominal laxity, depending on multiple factors including their anatomy and degree of desired improvement: A mini tummy tuck, an umbilical float modified tummy tuck, a full abdominoplasty. Each of these can be performed with or without liposuction and repair of the diastasis recti. They produce different degrees of improvement.  

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS  

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Will I need a full tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck

It appears that you have a fairly wide separation of the muscles of your abdomen. Because of that I think a mini tummy tuck, if done with muscle repair, would create a bigger bulge above the belly button than exists now because the tightening of the lower muscles alone would push the intra-abdominal contents higher. I think a full tummy tuck is the best choice for you

Julio Garcia, MD

#c-section #tummytuck #minitummytuck #bellybutton

From you photos, I would more than likely recommend a traditional tummy tuck. You have abdominal wall dissention that extends up to the level of your xyphoid (lower breast bone). You appear to have some excess abdominal skin that extends lateral to your hip bones.

In addition, your belly button could be improved with an umbilicoplasty which is part of a traditional tummy tuck.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Mini

A full tummy tuck involves a longer scar but will significantly improve both the upper and lower abdomen.  In comparison, the Mini Tummy Tuck uses a shorter scar to improve the lower (below the belly button) abdomen only.  If you are happy with your upper abdomen, then a Mini might be just the procedure for you.  A physical evaluation by a Plastic Surgeon will allow these concepts to be applied in more detail to your specific physical characteristics and give you  a good idea of the comparative results of these two procedures.

Full Tummy Tuck

In my opinion a full tummy tuck would give the best result as far as removing excess skin and correcting the abdominal muscles. I realize that most patients fear the recovery or scar. However even with todays technology, the only real way to get rid of excess or loose skin is to remove it. Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and have a careful exam to go over all of your options! Best Wishes! Dr. K

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD