Fat grafting! Are you always asleep when getting fat grafting for face? Are there any specialists in Europe and London?

Fat grafting! I want to do fat grafting for my face and I wonder are you always asleep during the procedure or can you be awake? Also I wonder does anyone know of specialists in Europe/London, I found many in the states but not many here.... I am thinking about traveling for the procedure but would of course be more convenient to find it here.

To find doctors in your local area, click here. 

Fat Grafting

Thank you for posting your questions. The exact type of anesthesia used will be based on your health condition and medical history, but general anesthesia is not necessary for a fat grafting procedure. Oral sedation through medications is more common, and the tumescent liquid used for liposuction numbs the area as well. Your physician and nurses can give you more detailed options at an in-person evaluation. Best of luck.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer Facts

Some fat grafting or transfer patients go under general anesthesia.  But this can be done easily with nerve blocks, tumescent and/or topical creams.  I often find that anesthesia is sometimes better though.  I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience in doing fat transfer. Don't let distance dissuade you. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.