Face lift - short term gratification or long term result?

If a face-lift or blephoraplasty looks great when it is initially done, could it create more of a need to maintain later, than if the person hadn’t of had a procedure. For example, in 10 years time they would end up looking the same whether they had had the procedure or not. If this is the case, this might not be useful for a patient who is looking at their longterm future (10 years or over). What is your opinion?

Candidate for a facelift

If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel on the inside, a facelift may be the solution to help you look and feel younger. During your consultation, your doctor will evaluate your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure. Based on this evaluation, he/she will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. Your doctor should make sure you have a full understanding of what results to expect.Always insist on a board certified surgeon!

Facelift With Long Term Results

If you do not have major weight fluctuations you will always look better having had the surgery than you would otherwise.  Obviously, you will continue to age, but the surgery will turn back time.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is highly experienced in natural facelifts.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Hello Diamond543 - Thanks for your question.  At this point in my career, I've performed over 2000 face/neck lifts.  The answer is that after facelift or blepharoplasty surgery, you never truly end up where you might, have had you not had surgery in the first place.  For all intents and purposes you continue to look younger than your peers.  For both procedures, enough natural anatomy is altered to create a true sub-permanent alteration.  The analogy I use with my patients is the one having to do with identical 60 year old twins coming to see a plastic surgeon. One twin has surgery and looks 10 years younger, but the other twin does not.  Now, fast-forward 10 years and realize that the first twin who had surgery only visually aged 4-6 years (scar from surgery holds well and patients take better care of their faces after surgery) and looks like she is 54-56 years old.  Her sister who didn't have surgery looks like she's 70 years old.  The reality is that the effects of proper eyelid surgery last 2-3 decades.  Changes in the structures around the eye might necessitate other procedures over time.  Properly performed facelifts last 8-10 years before enough restoration of visual aging occurs to warrant a touch-up procedure.  I hope this helps! Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Face lift and blepharoplasty - permanent or temporary

Thank you for asking about your face lift and blepharoplasty.
  • A face lift and blepharoplasty will not increase your need for maintenance.
  • But time marches on and to keep look as good, fillers, Botox etc are likely to be needed.
  • No - you will not look the same ten years after surgery than if you hadn't had surgery.
  • You will look much better - results are permanent.
  • After a face lift and blepharoplasty, you should look permanently significantly younger than your peers.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Long lasting benefits

You'll always look better having had a facelift or blepharoplasty performed than if you have no treatment at all. In fact, doing surgery usually means that if any further "tuck-ups" need to be done in the future, it can be accomplished with smaller procedures like minilifts. In other words, maintenance is typically easier following a well-done initial surgery. I hope this helps!

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Duration of Facelift Improvement

The improvement achieved with a facelift will last a lifetime. Although a patient will continue to age, they will always look better than they would if they had not had the procedure. The first operation  will not compromise choices for rejuvenation later in life.

Facelift 10 years down the road

I always tell my patients that any kind of facial surgery, whether a facelift or blepharoplasty, will take 10 years off your face for the rest of your life. What I mean by this is that though you will continue to age, the parts that have been operated on will always look a decade younger than the parts that were not. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Facelifts Usually Last About 10 Years

Whether you have a facelift or not, your skin and muscles will continue to age. However, after a lift, you have turned back the clock from 5 to 10 years or more. So, as you age, you will still continue to look younger than you would if you had not had the procedure. Many patients will have a second or third lift at 10-year intervals. Others opt for liquid facelifts or mini lifts. I hope this helps.

Long-term results of face lift

The question that you ask is a very common one. In general terms, a facelift lasts about 7 to 10 years, eyelid surgery's tend to last a little bit longer, and brow lift surgeries tend to last the longest 10 to 20 years.  At the end of that time everything does not revert or drop instantly. The surgical procedure rolls back the clock and resets it. You experience normal aging changes from the time of the procedure. Therefore someone who has had a procedure will always look better than someone who has not given that they are the same age.  Therefore it is better to start having procedures when you start seeing the changes in the mirror, usually in the early 50s for most people.  This is always better than waiting until you're late 60s or 70s to try and fix everything. It is always better to maintain the same look over many years with several smaller procedures then to try and have one large procedure when you are much older. 

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

The wonderful thing about facelift surgery for most patients is that in addition to short-term gratification it yields long-lasting results. Although we continue to age, if one undergoes a facelift, 10 years later he or she will look better than if that person had not had a facelift. In other words, if one has saggy jowls, the jowls will slowly recur after years. However, without a facelift, the jowls would be much worse in that time..