Drains after Tummy tuck and male Breast reduction????

Hello everyone. I seen my surgeon yesterday and he told me that the drains will only be in for 24 hours while I am in hospital. Then I have to keep on the garment for 8 weeks for a great result. Does this sound right. X

Drains after tummy tuck and male breast reduction?

Thank you for your question.  I do place drains following both of these procedures.  Each surgeon is slightly different on their post care instructions.  I recommend following the instructions your surgeon has given you.  Best of luck to you!

Trust the surgeon

It is never a good idea to second guess a surgeon who has actually examined you. Drain recommendations are never universal. You need to trust your surgeon and follow his advice.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Drains after tummy tuck?

Each surgeon has his/her own routine but my regimen is to leave drains in for a week despite placement of quilting sutures.  Some doctors have eliminated drains when they use quilting sutures and others use both techniques combined.  I suggest following your doctor's routine since that has probably proven effective in his/her hands.  Best wishes and enjoy your results.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

I would never question the recommendations of your doctor. I can only tell you what I do.  I place drains after tummy tucks and open breast excisions on all my patients. They stay in for 7-10 days on average.  I keep patients in compression for 6 weeks.  Im sure each doctor has a difference post op plan, but his seems pretty consistent among my partners. 

Drains after Tummy tuck and male Breast reduction?

Hello dear, thanks for your post, Every dr. has their own politic, in my practice I do not use drain in the breast, but for a tummy tuck I do use it, I leave the drain in until the patient is draining less than 50 cc's in 24 hours to avoid seromas. But as I told you before, each PS is different and I recommend to follow his instructions.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Drains at the Determination of your Surgeon

I do not use drains any more with this procedure and have switched from pain pumps to Exparel which is a long acting injectable pain medicine like Lidocaine or Marcaine but lasts for three days. This is injected all along the muscle and skin to provide pain relief. This is termed the Pain-less, Drainless Tummy Tuck.

If you go to a doctor who uses #drains, they usually stay in 3-5 days but may be required to remain in longer. If your doctor is able to only leave them in for 24 hours then it should be okay to make sure that the seals you are provided remain on the incisions and scarring area to help with healing. Good luck.

Drains after tummy tuck

Hi, Thank you for your question. Only your surgeon knows the amount of work that he or she did and how long a drain will be needed for. I usually keep my patients in the garment for at least 8 weeks. I recommend following any postop instructions that your plastic surgeon gives you.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

There are multiple techniques for tummy tuck.  Traditionally this operation is performed with drains.  The skin is elevated off of the abdominal wall, the excess is excised, and the skin is draped over the abdomen.  This leaves a large area that needs to heal by sticking back down to the abdominal wall.  Drains provide a way for the fluid and blood to be evacuated and speed the process of the abdominal skin sticking back to the abdominal wall.  If drains are not used, the fluid that is generated by the elevation of the skin is still generated.  Those of us that use drains do not believe that simply by quilting the skin to the abdominal wall will prevent the accumulation of fluid.  In fact, the quilting would make the fluid accumulate in isolated pockets.  Drains are a very useful tool in an abdominoplasty.   They are temporary.  If they affect the outcome in a negative way, were difficult to manage after surgery, or were permanent, then it would be a topic worth debating.  There are surgeons that have good outcomes with drains, and surgeons that have good outcomes without drains.  Pick your surgeon based on their outcomes, professionalism, experience, training, ability, not on whether they use drains.

Every surgeon has his/her preference about drains. I would suggest asking your surgeon any specific questions about the drains.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

​Hello, you are greeted by the doctor Franklin de Jesus waiting to be able to help with my response to your question.

Not. The time adapted to withdraw a drainage depends on the quantity of liquid that this drenando. The indication of the retirement of the drainage is decided when the patient this drenando less than 50 milliliters per day; this coincides from 10 to 13 days in case of the abdomen and in case of the breasts from 24 to 72 hours. In case of retirement of a drainage before this drenando less than 50 milliliters per day might cause the formation of a seroma that is not more than a collection it liquidates that it might give the aspect of an effect of bundle or abombamiento of the abdomen. 

Franklin De Jesus, MD