My dental implant failed and I got an infection. Picture with old denture in place. Would like to know what can be done. (Photo)

Specifically, I would like to know: Will my gums grow back? Will I ever have a normal smile again? Should I have further work to correct the bone and gum loss? Should I try for a another dental implant or put a bridge in place?

Gum Infection

Hi and thank you for your question. I see your concerns. I'm sorry to hear that your implant has failed due to an infection. Fortunately, we have technology to grow bone and gum tissue back. These treatments are very successful in the right hands so you should discuss this with your specialist so that you can receive another implant. Infections to implants are not common so it does not mean that a second implant will become infected as well.