Should I be concerned about this pain?

I am 12 days post breast augmentation. I am aware that it hasnt been long at all but my right breast feels a lot different to my left breast. My left breast has 0 pain but my right breast feels like its constantly spasming and feels tight especially when i breathe in. Im concerned that this could be capsular contraction but im aware its still very early. I had 315cc underneath the muscle. Is this a normal sensation to be having?

12 days post BA

Thank you for your question.  You are still very early in the recovery phase and one side can always feel different than the other side.  Either way, you should still contact your plastic surgeon's office and report this finding.  Best of luck. 

Pain After Breast Augmentation

Thanks for your question! There is certainly some pain to be expected after BA, and certainly one side will always be the "problem child" and bother you a little more than the other, not only in pain, but also in swelling, scarring, etc. that being said, any one sided pain should be quickly addressed by your surgeon, so I'd definitely follow up with him/her ASAP. Hopefully it's just a muscle spasm, and not something more serious like bleeding or a lung issue. At any rate, go follow up with them ASAP. Hope that everything turns out ok!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - severe pain on one side

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • Please contacted your own surgeon and arrange to be seen.
  • Things may be fine but one-sided pain after any surgeon must be reported to your surgeon.
  • It could simply be that your muscle on the right side is in more spasm than the muscle on the left.
  • Or it could even be a breathing problem that needs to be diagnosed and treated.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post Op Pain Concern

Thank you for your question. If you think something is unusual or becoming worse there is no harm in letting your Plastic Surgeon know. While asymmetric pain can be common, a physical exam can allow your surgeon to rule out anything more serious.
All the best

Hello, you certainly are expected to still have some pain at this time...but that fact that you have no pain on the left and significant pain on the right should at least be noted and checked on by your PS. Doubt this has anything to do with a Capsular Contracture at this time point. I would FU and discuss this with your PS who can examine you. Good LUck.