Would chin fillers help or is my chin so far back that I need an implant? Please help xx (Photo)

I will be having a nose job in January then ill be looking to fix my chin.. would fillers be enough? Or would i have to have a chin implant??

Chin implant is your right option!

Chin Filler is absolutely not a good option. This technique cannot make a huge change to your chin shape. 

Based on your photo, I would recommend you do silicone implant to adjust the shape of your chin. You may also consider doing a sliding genioplasty or chin advancement (Mandible movement) together with chin implant for the better result.

Do you need implants?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin

I believe that the best option for your profile, is a silastic chin implant. It is a relatively simple, quick procedure done under local anesthesia on an outpatient basis. Results are permanent.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Nose surgery and chin augmentation

Based on your photo it appears that you should consider chin augmentation with implants possibly in the same time with nose surgery. Considering severity of chin retrusion augmentation with fillers will not produce such a satisfactory result as chin implant or sliding genioplasty. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Would chin fillers help or is my chin so far back that I need an implant?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  While you could use a dermal filler for the augmentation, it would need to be re-injected at least once a year for the rest of your life which makes a chin implant far more "cost effective" in the long run.

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 30 years and frequently perform chin augmentation at the same time as Rhinoplasty to balance the lower face. 

Hope this helps.

Chin Augmentation

Given the significant horizontal deficiency of your chin you would be better served by surgical chin augmentation. Whether this is by an implant or a sliding genioplasty can be further debated. But either one is far better than an injectable filler.

Fillers vs Implant

Thank you for your question.  If you are interested in augmenting your chin, I would recommend an implant or a sliding genioplasty.  Fillers can give a few millimeters of projection, but I think you would be disappointed with that subtle of a change. 

The decision of implant versus bony sliding genioplasty is one you should discuss with your surgeon.  Both have pros and cons.

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

I agree that you would greatly benefit from a chin augmentation, it would balance your face. If you are scheduled for a rhinoplasty, it is very easy (and very common) to get a chin implant at the same time. Fillers not not work will for this issue and an extended chin implant is the simplest and appropriate treatment. 

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin implant candidate

A rhinoplasty and a chin implant procedure can both be performed at the same time under general anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. if you are going to perform the chin implant procedure, this can be done under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure.  When patients have a significant recessive  And cak chin profile, fillers do not work in that area very well.  For a permanent augmentation of the chin, consider a chin implant.  For more information and many before and after results of both procedures performed in combination, please see the link and the  video below