Cheeks not taking filler anymore. Any suggestions?

I had hyalase to dissolve cheeks that were over filled and placed too far down in my cheeks. On reinjecting the filler (voluma)into the right place the filler slipped back into the original position. The doctor tried to correct this by putting voluma on the cheekbones at the sides. This was a disaster and I had to have hyalase to the eye troth and upper cheeks. My skin in this area is now saggy and I was told that this area won't support filler anymore. Is this correct, could it recover? I am 49.

Placement of Voluma

Thank you for your question SadOldSaggy. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Voluma is a dermal filler used to enhance the cheek area. As we age the cheek bones naturally move downward and inward. I always start a Voluma treatment by injecting the upper outer portion of the cheek bone. This bone is easy to feel with the hands and the needle is inserted perpendicular to the skin and the tip of the needle is placed directly on the bone. I have never had a case where the product migrated when placed directly on the bone. Patients can sometimes tell the injection is being placed on the bone because often times they can hear a crunching sound. Please consult with a doctor so that he/she can examine your face in detail and provide specific recommendations. Good luck and please keep us posted!

Encino Physician

I don't believe that you are not a candidate for filler.

I would seek another opinion. Filler shouldn't "migrate" if placed properly. I also don't think that your skin should be any different after removal of the filler. It should return to its pre procedure state.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Migrating Voluma?

I would definitely suggest that you seek a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. When placed correctly, Voluma shouldn't migrate. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Voluma

Thank you for your question in regards to Voluma. It is not likely for Voluma to migrate due to the consistency of the product. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that your filler results have not been what you anticipated.  Because of Voluma's thick nature it is not prone to migration and I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a second opinion and evaluation of your filler placement.  Hope this helps

Hyaluronidase To Reverse Filler Injection -- Sagging Cheeks

Hyaluronidase has no impact on normal skin. The enzyme only targets and breaks down the HA fillers used and does not damage skin. Voluma should not "migrate" to another area of the face, if injected properly. I suggest you compare before and after photos and speak to a very well trained cosmetic physician. Best, Dr. Emer.