Breast implants too high. Do I need to downsize or do I need pocket revision? 9 years post! More details on my profile (Photo)

I have Silimed Teardrop Round 215cc, submusc (11.3cm D x 3.7cm P). 5ft, 105lbs. Breasts have barely changed since surgery. I am now 50, wanted very natural, small breasts with more fullness after having one child. I have always felt the implants were placed too high, or were too large in height. Width is fine. Before surgery I was 32A/AA! I ended up with too much upper fullness, with very little fullness below the nipple! Still soft. I feel I already have a bony fullness in the upper chest area.

Doctor Answers 8

Breast Implants To High?

Thank you for your question! You would absolutly benefit from a wider implant.  I would seek the advise from a board certified plastic surgeon and have a consultation with him or her.  That way you can see what options you can take from there.  Best of luck!Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board CertifiedPlastic SurgeonHoffman EstatesOak Brook

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 93 reviews

Breast implants too high . . .

Excellent inquiry. Implant replacement with similar sized smooth, round moderate profile silicone gel implants with capsulotomy will very likely expand the lower pole and change your breast shape to your satisfaction. Thank you for sharing.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Breast revision

You'd get benefit from wider implants, anatomical contour shaped, and located better just behind the nipples.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

Implants too high?

It is likely that a combination of factors are at play. Some descent of the breast mound off of the implant is likely at this stage. In addition, you may have a degree of capsular contracture elevating the implant as well. Either way, a nice result could be obtained by revising the implant pocket and exchanging for new implants. It should not be a problem to achieve your desired results.

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Can change implant

Thanks for your question. Given your small size and the small implants, I would probably favor changing you to a Mod Plus profile smooth round implant to given you what you are looking for. The implants may have trouble filling the lower pole if the muscle has not been completely released or if there is just a tightness and short nipple-IMF distance. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD
Austin Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 90 reviews

Revsion surgery

Based on your photographs, you would likely benefit from revision of the pocket to lower the volume.  I do not think it would require a smaller implant.  Your desired photograph shows a larger volume than you have with better release of the muscles along the breast fold.  This can be achieved with removal and replacement of the implants with internal capsule excision.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 135 reviews

Breast revision

Your question is quite reasonable.  It appears that your breast tissue has drooped slightly downward with time since your surgery. The goal you are selecting appears slightly larger than your current breast volume.  It seems that you could achieve your goals with a moderate plus style / style 15 smooth round silicone gel filled implant of slightly larger implant volume with a slight lowering of the inframammary fold to tip your nipple position upward.   This could give you the fullness you seek and the illusion of a lift.  Discuss these goals with your surgeon.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Revision surgery and smooth implants

You have normal changes and breast tissue has sagged off the implants. This is very normal especially for texture implants. You should get your desired look with revision and larger implants to fill the lower pole. 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 122 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.