Can breast implants alone, help with my breast sagging from weight loss? (photos)

I put on and lost around 4 stone in weight. During that time, my breast size went from a 36b to 36DD. Now they are a 36b again with sagging. I also have inverted nipples, that will come out with some persistence but only for a minute. Will breast implants help with that also? I have unsystematic breast also, would 2 different sized implants be suitable? Thanks, Lisa

Rob Schmid

Thanks for ur question! Of the hundreds of breast implant surgeries that I perform per year, probably half of them involve some kind of a breast lift. I think that u r a great candidate for a combined breast augmentation (implants) and lift (mastopexy). There r different kinds of techniques and approaches to this. I usually use a smooth round high profile Mentor gel implant, combined with a vertical "lollipop" mastopexy, but discuss this with a board certified plastic surgeon. Congrats on ur weight loss!

Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

No one wants a lift, but unfortuantely some woman need them

This is probably the most common question asked by my cosmetic breast patients with any droopiness or ptosis of their breasts. There is no absolute or correct answer. It depends on your (the patient's) expectations and desires. Just remember the implant needs to be centered directly behind the nipple, so wherever your breasts/nipple sit currently this is approximately where you can expect the implant to be positioned/settle. Breast implants alone simply add volume to your breasts. They do not lift or shape your breasts. If you are happy with the look of your breasts and just want them to be a bit fuller then a breast augmentation alone may work. In my practice, my patient's generally expect superior pole fullness/cleavage and a youthful, perky breast appearance without wearing a push-up bra so I tend to offer more lifts. Most of these patients are initially hesitant about the scarring, when in fact they should be more concerned about breast shape, contour and nipple position. I educated them that scars mature and fade over 6-12 months, when breast shape, contour and nipple position generally don't improve and, may in fact, worsen over time.

In my experience you need a lift due to degree of ptosis AND degree of aysmmetry. You will not be happy and satisfied with your result with implants alone. Best of luck.

Can breast implants alone, help with my breast sagging from weight loss?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Congratulations on your significant weight loss!
Based on your thank you history and photographs, it is most likely that you will benefit from breast lifting plus/minus breast augmentation surgery.  Breast lifting will be especially helpful when it comes to improving your breast positioning on your chest wall and improving breast symmetry.

You will do best by seeking consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.
It will be important to learn about the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with breast lifting surgery. For example, scarring on the breasts is one of the trade-offs associated with breast lifting surgery. Timing the operation according to your life circumstances ( such as pregnancies and relationships…) will also be key.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation/lifting surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Implants alone to treat sagging?

Hello, if there is only a little sagging, implants alone can often provide a nice result.  However, if the nipples are quite low on the breasts and there is a difference in their position, a simultaneous lift may provide a better cosmetic outcome.  Of course, breast lift surgery does involve incisions and scars on the breasts.  You would need to weigh the pros and cons of the different procedures during a consolation with a plastic surgeon.

Ptotic breasts

Hi Lisa821

Your physical presentation is such that you need to have a lift, regardless of implant.  Your nipples have descended too loo for an implant alone to give you an acceptable appearance.  Additionally, the strength of the supporting structures may have been weakened by the weight gain.

An asymmetrical lift will be performed first to even out the breasts, followed by the implant.

Se

Can breast implants alone, help with my breast sagging from weight loss

Breast implants will make you breast larger but they will remain saggy. You would benefit from a breast augmentation (if a size increase is desired) and a breast lift. Different size implants can be used to make the breasts look more even at that time.

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast implants alone or with lift?

Thank you for your questions and photos. In this case you would need a lift with the implants to have a better result, if only implants are placed you will have hanging breasts due to the weight loss. I recommend seeking a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr Ricardo Vega 

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

You will need a lift for best results

Some type of modified lift will be needed in your case in addition to breast implants.  Without a lift the result will be sub optimal.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Sagging breasts with weight loss

If you are content with your current cup size, the best answer to your problem is likely to be breast lift.  Actual examination by a plastic surgeon would be needed to determine this.  The lift could also equalize the disparity in size and shape of your breasts, so that they are not only lifted, but are more symmetric.

Michael Leff, MD (retired)
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Implants alone will not give you a pleasing breast shape as they will not lift your breasts. you will need a breast lift with an implant to achieve a fuller, perkier breast. You may or may not need different size implants with a breast lift.