Breast Implant Removal - I had implants (under the muscle) 10Y ago.

I had no idea how clownish they would end up looking as your body changes implant stays fixed. 1Y ago I had replaced w/smaller implant over the muscle w/lift. Ultrasound shows cysts back again. I'm reading that OK if benign But I doubt any clinical trials to prove. If there is any real evidence (RCTs) that demonstrate that, please let me know. I want to remove implants next year. I would like to know about the type of scar I to ensure I have ZERO sag.

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - I had implants (under the muscle) 10Y ago

Your questions and concerns are fair - but can only be fully assessed in person with consultations from one or more board-certified plastic surgeons.It's not clear to me what the cysts are from.  Cysts FROM breast implants are not a normal consequence, although cysts of breast tissue are common.  Either way, if you want your implants removed they can be - but the final result will depend on what you (and your surgeon) choose to do in addition to the removal.  Based on the size you have and how long they've been in place, it sounds like you may need the anchor-shaped incision (and scar pattern) to tighten the skin adequately.But these and other issues need to be discussed in person with your own PS.I hope that this helps and good luck,Dr. Alan EnglerMember of #RealSelf500

Thank you for the question. Short answer: much will depend on your physical examination ( factors such as degree of breast ptosis, current position of breast implants,  assessment of breast skin quality/elasticity…) and your plastic surgeons' clinical judgment. Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.   I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes with your decision-making and for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

No technique prevents sag

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry for the trouble you have had. No studies have ever shown any correlation b/w implants and propagation of cysts. With regard to the implant position, having them below the muscle makes it a little easier to treat cysts, but there's always concern about injuring an implant while trying to aspirate a cyst.If you have already had a lift, then nothing further needs to be done other than possibly removing some skin excess.  Skin loses its elasticity over time, so unfortunately there is no procedure that can offer ZERO chance of sag. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD