I really want to have Botox done. What steps do I need to take?

Botox®

I recommend that you research a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and set up a consultation appointment to learn more about Botox. At a consultation, the doctor can determine if you are a good candidate for the treatment.

Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox

I would recommend having a consultation first with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist so that they may assess the areas that you are concerned about. They will let you know if you are a candidate or not, and suggest the right treatment for you. The provider may even be able to do the treatment following your consultation if you decide to do so. 

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Steps for Botox

The first step is getting the best treatment possible! Find an experienced cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon that you can develop a relationship and follow up with. After an evaluation with your physician you can then receive the treatment.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Getting started with Botox

I would strongly recommend seeing a highly qualified  and experienced physician who would be able to determine if you're a good candidate for Botox or another neuromodulator and you could make a recommendation for appropriate treatment as well as perform the treatment appropriately.  Administration of Botox and similar drugs requires a great degree of knowledge and experience in order to obtain best outcomes.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Seek a consultation with a Board Certified Surgeon.  During the consultation you will be advised if you are a candidate for Botox and what will be required to give you the results you are looking for.  In most cases, injections can be done that day following the consultation.

Botox

Hello, I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Most likely, he or she should be able to do the injections that same day. Good luck!

Jeremy A. Benedetti, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Botox

Thank you for your question  I would recommend that you consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon in your area. Good luck.

What are the steps toward Botox treatment.

Thank you for your question. Typically you will schedule an appointment with an injecting physician, obtain a consult to discuss treatment options, verify that you are indeed a candidate and proceed with treatment.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox - Where to Start

Research your doctor and don't shop solely based on cost.  This is a medical procedure that needs to be done by a trained physician. A good place to start is by looking for a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Schedule a consultation with the physician to discuss your desires and goals so that your expectations are conveyed. This may assure a more satisfying result.

Feel comfortable at the office your choose. Avoid Groupons or discounts. Ask who is performing the injections. 

Michael H. Wojtanowski, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Find a qualified, experienced and talented provider

Having Botox provided by the wrong person for a first treatment can be a major setback and a bad mistake.

If done incorrectly, it can lead to a most unsatisfying experience, leading people to believe Botox is not a good treatment.

Preferably, find a physician who does these treatments regularly and has good understanding of facial anatomy.

These generally include dermatologists, plastic surgeons, head and neck surgeons or ophthalmologists.

I would look for online reviews and word-of-mouth recommendations.

Avoid specials like Groupon at all costs.

It's not worth skipping financially and having a bad outcome.

In general, treating frown lines only is a great place to start with Botox. It typically has the best patient satisfaction and very little risk.

After that, perhaps the best is treating crow's feet.

Many patients are not good candidates for treating for head lines.

Excess treatment of the forehead can easily lead to the brow sitting in a lower position, giving upper eyelids a heavy feeling.

By only treated one area, you will save some money and you will be able to differentiate what it means to have Botox in each area.

Muscles of the face can have opposing forces and adding Botox can cause drastically different effects depending on how and where it's placed.

There are, of course, doctors from other specialties, nurse practitioners, physician assistants and RNs who do great work with Botox.

Have fun.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD