Botox allergy?

Hello, Can you suddenly become allergic to Botox? I've had it for the 4th time today (in 2 years) and I am an anxiety sufferer and feel convinced Ill have an allergy. But Ive been to the same dr and used the same product. I have an underlying heart problem (cardiomyopathy) and am worried about it travelling to my heart. Its been 8 hours now, would I know by now? Many thanks, Gemma

No Known Allergies to Botox

I have never known someone to be allergic to Botox. Since you have had Botox before without an adverse reaction, you should be fine. I would contact your treating physician with any concerns you may have.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Botox side effect

There are very rare reports of allergy to botulinum toxin but you need not be concerned.Botox is bound to the site it is injected and will not travel and will not affect your heart at all

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox allergy

Allergic reactions involve swelling, itching, rashes, trouble breathing due to swelling of the airway. Adverse reactions are anything else a drug does that isn't the intended result. You almost certainly don't have a Botox allergy. Botox is known to seep along nerves to other areas, but very subtly. Your cardiomyopathy is almost certainly unrelated. The good news is that Botox wears off, so if you are having an adverse reaction, it will go away.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

Try Not to Worry--No Allergies to Botox

I've never dealt with anyone who was allergic to Botox and since you've had it on other occasions without an adverse reaction, I think you're fine. I would contact your Dr. if that would further allay your fears. Best, Dr. Emer

Reaction to Botox?

Anxiety is not a side effect of the Botox or an allergy. It is almost unheard of to be allergic to Botox. The anxiety can be treated as it normally would or you have done in the past.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox allergy?

Hello, and thanks for your question. I perform injections every day and I have never seen an allergic reaction to Botox, nor have I heard of a significant one being reported. Distant spread has never been reported at the doses used for cosmetic indications. If you are still concerned, I suggest following up with your physician. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

No allergies to Botox

I am sorry that you are so anxious about this, but thankfully, there have been no reports of allergies to botox.  The warnings of distant spread of botox are greatly exaggerated and in the opinions of most expert users completely false in cosmetic use of the product.  If you continue to be anxious about it, call your physician for further reassurance.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon