Blood test and swab prior Vaginoplasty and labiaplasty is necessary?

Hi I have booked an appointment for Vaginoplasty and labiaplasty surgery and the doctor said I do not need blood tests or swap prior the surgery, however A friend of mine that had these surgeries before has had both checks prior the surgery so I am a bit concerned and would like to know if prior tests are really necessary or not. Many thanks

Do I need specific testing prior to LP or VP?

No, you don't need either for LP or VP unless you have a + history of STDs. The weblink below can give you some idea of women's reactions to their LP and VP surgeries.
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Preop labs for elective procedure

Hello Alegria,If you are healthy, which I assume you are since you're having an elective cosmetic procedure, there is no need for blood work. There are certain medical conditions which require labs, but you probably don't have them or you wouldn't be posting this question.Vaginal swabs are completely useless!  It would just grow normal vaginal flora. If a vaginal infection is suspected then any gynecologist worth their salt would diagnose that clinically and treat accordingly. This should be treated before any surgery.No need to worry. If your surgeon didn't run studies its because he/she didn't think they were indicated.  

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Do I need blood test and vaginal swab before vaginoplasty?

It is reasonable to get routine laboratory analysis before surgery although it will be up to the surgeons discretion and may be dictated by the hospital or surgery center.  A vaginal swab is done to look for infections.  An STD or vaginitis can certainly increase the risk of complications.   Laboratory tests to evaluate the blood is reasonable as well.  Any woman of childbearing age should have a pregnancy test of course.My advice is simple: it this testing would make you feel better request it from your doctor.  These tests are easy to perform and any doctor unwilling to add this to their preoperative evaluation because of a patient request should probably not be entrusted to operate on your body.  Good luck.

Tests

While it is not standard practice for us to do vaginal cultures prior to surgery, every surgeon has a different list of prerequisite tests. Best wishes for a great surgery.

The need for pre-op testing before vaginoplasty is individualized

Generally, there is no need for bloodwork testing prior to vaginal surgery. Even a vaginal hysterectomy rarely requires anything more than a simple blood count. However, if there is concern for infection based on direct examination or because of symptoms, then testing makes sense.

Blood work or Vaginal Culture performed prior to Vaginoplasty

Although there is nothing wrong with doing these test prior especially if there is any suspicion of vaginal infection or medical issues.  However, routinely we do not perform these test prior to a vaginoplasty. Hope that helps, and best of luck to you.

Tests for STDs

Typically these tests are performed to check for presence of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Normally I don't perform these tests routinely. But if the patient says she may have acquired one, we do the tests. In my population of patients, typically these are not necessary.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Vaginoplasty Beverly Hills

Hello and thank you for the question. I typically do not perform any pre-operative studies, aside of course from the standard ones, for a vagino-labioplasty.  If you have a past medical history which warrants further testing, that may reason for additional testing. I would ask your doctor if you are truly concerned.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Blood test & swab

I agree with Dr Pelosi---generally blood tests and a vaginal swab is not necessary for a vaginal tightening or labiaplasty, however there are rules which need to be followed at many surgical centers and hospital operating rooms.  Outpatient facilities are rules are often much more relaxed.