Do I need blepharoplasty? Maybe ptosis? I'm 27 and have dark circles and bags very noticeable. (photos)

I have very bad dark circles around the eyes which make my eyes look very dark. One of the bags under one eye is a lot bigger than the other too. Also closely when I look I have very small spots underneath. I think this is due to too much sun and sun beds several years back. I also feel I have slight case of ptosis. It seems like one eye looks slightly smaller than the other and more of the white bit shows in one. I would like surgery but don't know what would work. Thanks.

Doctor Answers 3

Blepharoplasty and Tear Trough Filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for sharing your question and photos. It is difficult to accurately assess without an in-person evaluation; however, you maybe be a good candidate for an upper lid skin pinch. This is a procedure that is less invasive than a blepharoplasty and involves removing the excess skin of the upper lids.  An experienced plastic surgeon will be able to determine if you have true eyelid ptosis. With regards to the dark circles you are noticing, you are a good candidate for tear trough fillers with a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane. This helps by restoring lost volume, which in turn, improves the appearance of the dark circles. I advise consulting with a board certified specialist who can offer you more specific recommendations for these issues. 

Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 73 reviews

You have profound levator dehiscence with compensatory eyebrow elevation.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

We call this latent ptosis.  This makes your upper eyelids look very hollow and depleted.  Surgery is needed to repair the anterior levator. Unfortunately even some very experienced surgeons to not understand this issue. By repairing the disinserted tendons inside the eyelids, the eyelids will be better supported and the eyebrows will relax helping to restore your appearance.  Surgery, not fillers is the answer here.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have some ptosis of the right upper lid.  This can be fixed surgically.  See an oculoplastic surgeon to evaluate the eyelid muscles and determine what surgery would be best for you.  You lower lids don't look bad.  They are a little hollow so some filler here would help.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.