Things I should do before I get into plastic surgery?

Im a smoker, im 30 years old.. For ne to have a safe mummy make over and butt fat transfer I have to stop smoke but I like to know what suplements I should take to get my body ready before the surgery, and how long should I take the suplements?

Preparing for a Mommy Makeover Procedure & Recovery

I suggest to my patients  beginning supplements such as  #bromelain or #arnica a week or two before their procedure(s). However, its best to consult with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon beforehand. She or he will make suggestions according to your procedure and medical records in addition to discussing your pre-op preparations. Also, such may be provided for you with your pre-op material and prescriptions in time for your recovery period. Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks.   Additionally, scar therapy with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) are suggested for managing scars. However, we recommend you wait to use scar improving products until a few weeks following your surgery. 

As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined. 

Supplements needed for mommy make-over

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.

• Apart from vitamin C - and it is unnecessary if you regularly eat citrus fruit or drink citrus juices like orange juice - there are no supplements that will improve your healing.
  • Not smoking for at least a month before and after surgery is the most important step - and the hardest.
  • After that, eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, lean meat and plenty of exercise.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Pre surgery

You should avoid all produces containing nicotine for at least 4 weeks pre and post surgery. Inform your surgeon of your nicotine use so he can advise you on his pre-operative requirements. You can use a plain multi vitamin. Best wishes, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

It is my pleasure to answer your question. I recommend you to quit smoking at least 3 months before surgery, having a healthy diet and performing cardiovascular exercises.

Aramis Vega, MD

Preparing for surgery.

Forget about the supplements.  Quitting smoking completely is the #1 thing you need to do.  No nicotine gum.  No nicotine patches.  Not just cutting back.

If you are smoke free for 2 months prior to surgery, your risk of complications drops dramatically.

You are correct take the most important thing you need to do is quit smoking.  You should stop at least 4 to 6 weeks before your surgery and not smoke for 3 weeks after the procedure.  If you can stop for that long you should be able to quit permanently, and the saving in cigarettes over a lifetime, should go a long way to paying for your surgery.  If you are over weight  try to get you weight down and get on a go exercise and diet program that you can maintain even after you have had your procedure.  In most cases dietary supplements are not necessary but there shouldn't be any harm in taking a multivitamin.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Getting ready for pladtic surgery

In general, it is best to quit smoking for at least 6 weeks prior to plastic surgery. This is especially true for procedures that involve the creation of skin flaps including facelift, breast lift, breast reduction and abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). In each of these procedures, smokers are at significantly increased risk of tissue loss and delayed wound healing. 

No specific supplements are recommended or need to be taken. Good candidates for plastic surgery are in good health. They are at or near their ideal body weight.  They do not have uncontrolled high blood pressure or uncontrolled diabetes.  

Mark A. Deuber, MD

Before your surgery:

Dear Sheyla

The obvious step is not to smoke for at least one month before and one month after surgery. As far as supplements, most surgeons dont recommend them at the age of 30 unless you have a particular predisposition. For example if you have anemia we may recommend iron and folate supplements.
If you are otherwise healthy, I would suggest avoiding supplements.

Afshin Parhiscar MD FACS

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Supplements in prep for plastic surgery

Sheyla84

The single best thing you can do is stop smoking and stay quit.

Supplements aren't proven to be especially helpful unless you are malnourished.

Get into the best physical shape you can would be my advice, and also work with your surgeon so you are both on the same page.

sek

No required supplements

I don't require my patients to have any specific supplements but do want them to be smoke free for a month before and after surgery. Most patients on a healthy diet will get plenty of vitamins and minerals. Sometimes a multivitamin is advantageous but megadoses of any vitamin can be problematic.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon