Is it a bad idea to fly from the UK to the US for BBL surgery?

long distance, international patient, 8+ hr flight

Travel for BBL

Traveling to the US for BBL is not bad. There are many surgeons that have arrangements for international travel. I recommend that you plan to stay for a few weeks after the surgeon or until cleared by your surgeon for travel. 

#BBL #ShapedExtraJuicy #liposuction #fattransfer #BrazilianButtLift #DrSej #fatgrafting #fatsurvival #BBLrecovery #beverlyhills #curves #weightloss #bodysculpting 

Traveling to U.S. for a Brazilian Butt Lift

Thank you very much for your question. It is not necessarily a bad idea to fly from the UK to the United States for a Brazilian Butt Lift procedure, as long as you are seeing a reputable, board certified plastic surgeon. It is imperative that you carefully discuss the necessary recovery period with your operating surgeon, as he/she will have a protocol on how long to stay close to the office post-op. Additionally, as the newly transferred fatty tissue is very delicate, it is recommended that you not fully sit on your bottom for four to six weeks. This could make the long flight difficult, and increase the risk of losing additional fat cells, ultimately meaning less than desirable results. However, if you have the opportunity to stay in the U.S. for several weeks after surgery, traveling abroad may prove to be a valuable choice. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. I recommend you to do a good research about board certified plastic surgeons all around more places, there are really good surgeos there too, good luck finding your doctor!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Be very careful not to be tricked by gimmicks and do your research. Plan to have a responsible caregiver. If you are traveling by yourself then call ahead and get recommendations from your surgeons office about places to stay and reliable post operative caregivers that they have used before. It is also a good idea to inquire about purchasing cosmetic insurance that will cover complications that could occur within 30 days after surgery. Complications  that are associate with the cosmetic procedure are usually not covered by your regular health insurance.  When you're looking for a cosmetic procedure you find a surgeon that has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. and free Face to face consultation.

Rami Ghurani, MD

Air Travel and Buttock Surgery

BBL involves converting flat, indistinctive buttocks into attractive, round and distinctive. This is done by liposuctioning around the buttocks making them rounder and then grafting the necessary volume of fat into them to make them as prominent as you and your surgeon would like. 

Unfortunately fat survival depends not only on how the fat was removed and grafted but also on the compression and shear forces placed on the buttocks after surgery while blood vessels slowly grow into the fat and nourish it reliably. Many surgeons ask that you not sit on the buttocks for 2-4 weeks to maximize fat survival. Taking long flights shortly after surgery is not a good idea. However, if you decided to stay here longer after yiur surgery there is no reason why you could not have your surgery in the US. 

Dr. Peter A. Aldea

It is advisable to try and find a reputable board certified plastic surgeon in your area so you can continue to be under the care of the surgeon who operated on you. If you do decide to travel out of the country then I would plan to stay for a minimum of 3 weeks after your surgery for post operative check-ups and to prevent any damage to the surviving fat by sitting on a long flight but it is important to consult with your surgeon about their post-operative instructions, as each surgeon has slightly different post-operative protocols, and to come up with an appropriate aftercare plan for you once you go back home. I recommend that my patients do not sit on their bottoms for long periods of time for the first three weeks. The first week I do not recommend any sitting or pressure on the buttocks, days 8-14 the patient may sit up to 5 minutes two times per day.  Days 15-21 the patient may sit up to 9 minutes five times a day only then days 22 and beyond sitting is fine as long as the patient is comfortable. If you must go back fly before 3 weeks post op, I definitely do recommend the BBL pillow and getting up every 10-15 minutes to walk around until you are at least three weeks post op. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Fly for BBL

Thanks for your question.  I don't recommend my patients to sit for prolonged periods in the first few weeks after BBL, so unless you are planning to stay in the country for your recovery I would not recommend flying back soon after BBL.  Also, it would be preferable to follow up with your surgeon for at least 3-6 months after surgery to ensure that everything is healing well and to mitigate any issues if they arise.  

Soumo Banerji, MD
Pasadena Physician

Fly to Brazil

If you want to fly overseas for a BBL you should do it in Brazil. Brazilian surgeons have excellent expertise and are among the best plastic surgeons in the world. Also the proceidure is a routine surgery in that country for decades, and it is just now being performed in US. Hospital quality is the same and english is widely spoken among the top doctors. One more thing, due to currency exchange, the pricing is much more appellant.

Andre Eyler, MD
Brazil Plastic Surgeon