Bad crusting 1 month post op? (Photos)

I am 1 month and 10 days post ops. I am very itchy and crusting at the top of my head. I am currently overseas for 2 months, does it look bad, will this affect my results and how can I slow it down in a foreign country

Crusting following surgery

It appears you have not been cleansing the area sufficiently following your surgery. We recommend our patients lather their scalp well (Massage with finger tips) with a mild shampoo, let the lather stay on throughout their entire shower, then rinse at the end. The steam of the shower and the shampoo staying on for several minutes should wash away much of the crusting. Do not pick at the area, but use your finer tips, not nails to loosen the crusting as you shampoo. If this doesn't help, you should go back to your transplant surgeon for an evaluation.

Hot Springs National Park Dermatologic Surgeon

Crusty and Itch

I am pretty sure you are a little bit worry about touching the grats. First you need to leave the shampoo for 10 minutes, tap the area with your fingers to trying to remove very gently the crust. For the itch you can buy Zyrtec 10 mg every day but is becasue of the crust. And yes can affect the growth of the grafts more becasuse you can have a infecction if you are not cleanning good the area.

Sara Salas, MD
Mexico Hair Restoration Surgeon

Bad crusting 1 month post op? (Photos)

Thank you for the question and the photos. I agree with the previous comments. You should contact your board certified surgeon. You may need to be more aggressive with the cleaning. Good luck.

If you are having issues after surgery, especially with "crusting" you should contact your doctor.

If you are having issues after surgery, especially with "crusting" you should contact your doctor.  You may not be washing properly and your doctor can help.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Crust

This may be due to after care issues.  You should get a little more aggressive with the cleaning and review the after care packet.  Sometimes, a prescription is required if this persists.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Crusting 40 days after a hair transplant

beatboxbb,This crust results from babying the recipient area too much after a hair transplant. We recommend shampooing at least once per day and even twice pre pay if there is oozing. This is done in a gentle manner lathering the donor area and applying the suds gently to the transplant area. Always use a gentle up and down motion but no rubbing or side motion as this can dislodge the grafts. At this point consider applying lubricant such as vitamin E oil, or K-Y jelly to the caked area 1-2 hours before shampooing. The crust will soon start to come off. Please check with your Doctor. Hope this helps.
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Crusting 1 month after hair transplant

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon