Why anchor breast lift with barely grade I ptosis and augmentation?

I'm 22, BMI 21, full C cup, ptosis I (@less than 1 cm) and I was looking for breast augmentation for about 2 sizes. I saw 3 PC and 1 surgeon so far, and they suggest anchor lift. I don't feel uncomfortable with the shape, I understand that in the future they might sag more, but I would rather be willing to have a lift later. Why I just could not have an augmentation or even a donut or areolar lift? I see pictures of women with a more pronounced ptosis and stunning results w/only BA.

Breast lift for grade 1 ptosis may well not be "necessary."

It certainly bears additional consultations and discussion if what you are describing is correct. If your nipples are facing forward and are situated above your inframammary creases, then I would question the need (and recommendations) for a breast lift. Augmentation alone should do just fine, and a breast lift can always be "added" later as required. But you cannot "undo" or "go back" from the incisions and scars of a breast lift, needed or not.

Without photos or personal examination it is impossible to determine how 4 professionals could be (uniformly) incorrect and you, the non-plastic surgeon patient, could be correct. But it certainly appears to be a possibility, if what you describe is accurate. Send photos or see additional ABPS-certified plastic surgeons in consultation to break this stalemate. Something is "fishy" here! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast lift

It is probably a good idea to see multiple Board Certified plastic surgeons and have multiple opinions because the first doc may not be the one for you.  Good Luck!

Augmentation Alone Might be Feasible

Dear kersei1,

Pictures would help in assessing your case. You mentioned you have grade I ptosis. That by definition means the nipple is at the same height as the underlying breast fold. If that is in fact the case with you standing as fully erect as possible, then breast augmentation alone is likely quite feasible as a slight compromise. Your breasts will not be as high and youthful looking on the torso but usually will give an acceptable appearance.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Breast lift

I would recommend at least one additional evaluation by a plastic surgeon for their opinion.  The quality of your skin is as important as the degree of ptosis, so a physical exam is really the only way to know for sure.  Avoiding scars is desirable, but in the end, the shape and symmetry are going to be the most critical. Sometimes a lift is the only way to accomplish that.

As an aside, a vertical lift rather than an anchor lift is usually adequate for Grade I ptosis.  Scars are fewer and long term shape is usually better.

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Anchor lift

Every women is different, and what may work for one woman may not be the best solution for you. If 4 individuals recommended an anchor lift, you probably need that for your best results. You could ask your plastic surgeon if you might be a candidate for the "gummy bear" implant. Without an examination, I cannot say what would work best for you.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

You need to trust your doctors

Doctors who have evaluated you gave you their professional assessment.  You may disagree.  However you need to trust.  Donut and areolar lifts do not always work in everyone.
Do not always go by photos.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Lift type

Thank you for your question and without photos it is impossible to comment.  I agree with you though that it would be desirable to avoid scarring so I do that in all patients without compromising results

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Breast Lift with Implants

Hi Kersei,
I see what you wrote, and I don't have a photo and haven't examined you.  But I have a suggestion. Please put an index card in your breast fold. If your nipple is at the edge of the card or below, then you would be a candidate for a lift, either a vertical or anchor or areolar incision. If your nipple is above the edge, you could be a candidate for an internal lift called the dual plane. The video below explains the dual plane internal lift. I believe, from what you wrote above, the dual plane and implants alone will do it for you, and that you will not need a lift. Be sure to seek a consultation with a BC PS to be sure. Find a PS who does dozens of DP and get another opinion. All the best, “Dr. Joe”

Choices for breast lift with implants

Thanks for your question about breast lift with implants.

There are several factors that help a surgeon determine what types of incisions and lift may work best for any given patient having a breast lift.  In my practice it can be predicted if the degree of ptosis (drooping) is severe or mild. In many cases I am able to perform a circumvertical or lollipop lift without the need for anchor incisions.  However, if the patient has a significant degree of breast drooping and I feel an anchor type lift will work best that is what I will use.  Visit with some board certified plastic surgeons that make you feel comfortable about your choices.

Best Wishes.

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon