Alternative to Mid Facelift

My mid cheeks have become saggy and crepey after hyalase injections proceeding disastrous overfilling with voluma. I have been advised that a midface lift will address this and that the skin is currently too lax for fillers. Would a temporal lift tighten the skin adequately so that fillers (not voluma) would work in this region instead? Fat transfer has been suggested. I am concerned that the mid face lift is too risky. I am 49 but not currently in need of a face lift to address the jowl area.

Mid-face lift

Without photos, I can only speculate, but given your difficulty with fillers, it sounds as if the advise you received on the mid-facelift is sound. If your area unsure, it might be wise to get a second in person opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Mid face lift

I have become very skeptical of adding more volume to the cheek areas to "lift" the midface region. It often results in a very odd look for those without high cheekbones. Using only Voluma here may be asking more than the product can provide all by itself. The problem is that the volume you had in the region has descended. A mid face lift will put that volume back to where it once belonged, a much better option in my opinion than adding more volume on top of displaced volume.

Ben Lee, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Mid-face lift

Dear sad old:The mid-face lift is a well-established procedure, and provides benefits which the standard facelift does not. It is too bad that you have experienced the difficulties you describe with the "fillers", and I understand your reluctance to consider more (or different) fillers, and your interest in the mid-facial lifts. The mid-facial lift is performed via lower lid incisions, can be done under local anesthesia with sedation, and does not take as long as the lower face/neck lift to perform, and can easily be done as a free-standing procedure; plus, the midfacial lift enhances the cheekbones, and it also provides benefit to the lower eyelids at the same time--with minimal risk. Good luck!James H. Scheu, M.D.

James H. Scheu, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Options

Honestly, to only rely on descriptions without photos is perilous at best. Good quality photos would go a long way in giving any potential meaning to any recommendations.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Fat transfer and midface lift combination

If you have too much skin, it needs to be removed.  Fat transfer at the time of the facelift can help with the areas of loss volume.  This would give you a far better result than fillers alone.  For more detailed information please consider posting photos.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Alternatives to midface lift

For volume depletion, fillers and facial fat grafting make sense. Also patients with full cheeks but hollow temples would benefit to graft the temples to improve the transition between the temple and mid face. I would consider a mid face lift in cases of severe mid face laxity and ptosis. Cheek implants are another alternative.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants for midface volume augmentation

In our practice, we do not perform a mid facelift, due to the complications that can occur from that operation.  When patient's have a flat maxilla and a flat cheek profile, we perform cheek implant placement.  Cheek implants are manufactured in variety of sizes and shapes, and are composed of Silastic.  The implants are placed through a small incision  via an intraoral approach under a brief general anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  For more information and many examples, please see the video and the link below

FACE LIFT VS MID FACE LIFT

For an evaluation of your case, it is important to see photos of your face from the front and sides, and see in what area of your face there is the most of the lose skin, and if there is also need of volume to restore the natural contours on your face. A temporal lift is designed to elevate the position of the brows, a mid face lift to elevate the position of the cheeks, but in patients who there is extra skin on the cheeks, along the jaw line or with marionette lines a face lift will work better.

Alternative to Mid Facelift

You have mentions many possible approaches to improve mid face volume and contour except the use of implants. You do have multiple alternatives but I need to see pictures before making any suggestions.

Alternative to Mid Facelift

The definition of facial rejuvenation varies from surgeon to surgeon and means different things to different patients. In general it is the process to try to reverse the facial appearance caused by aging. It may involve improving the skin texture and complexion, diminishing skin discoloration, minimizing fine lines and wrinkles, contouring hollows, or tightening loose tissue that has lost its elasticity.

There are a variety of procedures, both non-surgical and surgical which can be utilized to achieve these various goals. Fillers, Botox or Dysport, micro-fat grafts, chemical peels, a skin care program, lasers, skin tightening, and surgical lifts are some of the methods that are used to achieve a cosmetic improvement. Each has advantages and disadvantages as well as limitations of what they can achieve. The best technique or combination of procedures depends on desired outcome, individual anatomy, underlying medical health, and extent of aging. There is no one approach that is ideal for everyone.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with who has all of the modalities of treatment available. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Facial rejuvenation needs to be individualized. What would be an ideal approach for one patient is not necessarily the same for someone else. Based on the examination and discussion at the consultation, you should have a better understanding of the various options that can achieve the best cosmetic result for you.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California  

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon