Alar base reduction? Would I be a good candidate for this? Would this procedure be sufficient on its own? (photos)

Hello! Have recently started thinking about rhinoplasty - specifically alar base reduction.  Thanks in advance.

Rhinoplasty

I think it depends on what you hope to achieve. Judging by your pictures, a tip rhinoplasty and alar base narrowing will be all you need.

Alar base reduction

The changes you describe can be achieved with rhinoplasty. The flare and width of the nostrils may be reduced with alar base modification.  If you want the best idea of what is possible for your nose, do your due diligence, find an experienced surgeon, and have him/her evaluate you in person and discuss your options. Looking at computer-morphed images with your surgeon during consultation will give you a good idea of what is possible, and also give you a great chance to convey to your surgeon what you envision.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Alar base reduction

An alar base reduction can accomplish narrowing the nostrils and the base of the nose. This procedure can be performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure which takes approximately 30 minutes. Look for a  surgeon with extensive experience in rhinoplasty surgery for best results. 

Alar base reduction

While alar base reduction alone may be an option, I personally don't think it would be the best option for you. Based on your photos, you may benefit from defining the tip better. Alar base reduction performed without any tip work may occasionally cause the tip to appear rounded, especially if the tip is slightly large to start with. But again, these decisions are better done over face to face consultation. 

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from decreasing the width of your alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Alar base resection

Just looking at your photos that actually seems like a reasonable plan. A full exam should be done as well as assessment of your breathing. These scars will be potentially visible and over correction could be disastrous so don't get too greedy.

Good luck cutie!

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon