A bit worried of this mole which has grown slightly and is now itchy. What do I do? (Photo)

I've had a baby 4 months ago

Doctor Answers 2

Cosmetic Mole Removal

I suggest having the mole biopsied if you are concerned.  Any good dermatologist can do this in the office without downtime.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

Growing, itchy mole.

It is always difficult to tell from a photograph, but since your mole has been changing, you should be safe and have all your moles carefully evaluated. Pregnancy will often cause moles to get larger and darker, and itching is not typically a sign of cancer. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for irregular Borders; C for black or uneven Colors; D for Diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole on your back using a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.