9 weeks post op breast augmentation, left breast scar is not healing properly, oozing continuously and dressed daily. (photo)

3 weeks post op the scar glue came off as expected, the scar began to open on both sides, and I got a fever etc so my PS put me on antibiotic sensitive to the bacteria taken from a swab. The pain disappeared, and the right scar healed up, the left however is not healing fast enough for my liking, it's not painful just oozing all the time so I dress it daily with a silver dressing, my question. Is should I commence on long term antibiotics for weeks or what's happening here?

Oozing L breast implant incision 9 weeks post surgery

HI dellsbells.
  You really should see your surgeon again as you may have a connection between the inside of the breast implant pocket the outside. If the breast implant is contaminated with a bacterial infection, this may be one reason why the wound is not healing. Your surgeon can best determine whether or not you should be on antibiotics at this point.Kind regards,Dr. Christine Rodgers 

9 weeks post op breast augmentation, left breast scar is not healing properly, oozing continuously and dressed daily.

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  I agree that at 9 weeks your incisions should have fully healed and I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person evaluation and discussion of your wound opening.  There is something preventing complete closure - infection, fluid collection, skin tension, stitch abscess, etc - that needs to be diagnosed in order to appropriately repair your incision site. 

Thank you for your question. Doesn't look like infected. Because it is post op issue I recommend you talk to your PS and follow up with them for local wound care

Delayed healing following breast augmentation

- A silver dressing will help to keep the wound clean and reduce the risk of another infection.- Long term antibiotics not usually indicated in situations like this. I would only consider another course of antibiotics if there were signs and symptoms of another infection (redness, pain, fever, increasing wound discharge).- If the wound is clean, but healing very slowly, then it may be reasonable to consider a closing the wound surgically. Your Plastic Surgeon could lay out the pros and cons of this option.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

S/p BA

It is important for you follow up with your surgeon as soon as possible so that they can examine you. They should be directing your wound care and treatment to get that area healed as quickly as possible.

Scar not healing - and oozing

The scar in your photo seems to be healing OK and is not infected, probably because you've been really good about keeping it clean and dressing it daily. It looks close to healed - but if the open scar continues to become a problem you should go back to your doctor and see what he recommends. More medication may do the trick, maybe you'll need a different a solution. Only your surgeon will be able to tell you since in the end it is his call. Best wishes

Traci Temmen, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Not healing after augment

While it does not look infected, I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon again to let him/her have a look.  If there is implant visible through the opening, additional precautions may need to be taken to save the implant.  I agree that at 9 weeks, it should be healed.

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon