9 weeks post op FUE, I still have 15% of the grafts continuing to grow, is this normal?

Hi I am just under 9 weeks POST fue I still have 15% of the grafts continuing to grow, is this normal? Should they not of been shed by now? I understand it’s still very early for growth but I don’t want the potential new hairs to be effected. Thanks

Hairs after FUE

What you are experiencing is completely normal.  They will eventually shed and then re-grow in the future.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Anything is possible

The practice of medicine, hair transplant surgery in this case, does not conform to set rules.  You may be one of the few that have early growth. 

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair growing immediately after hair transplant

This is common but it is unfortunately not live growing hair that you are looking at, but rather the movement of the hair shafts within the hair grafts as they move up through the skin before shedding. Don't worry, your live growing hair will grow in 5-6 months after the transplant was done

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Growth rate after the procedure

Hair goes through its intrinsic cycle of growth and in your case about 15% were in the growing phase.  Yes it is normal to have some of the hairs not fall off and continue to grow.  However, usually most people start seeing growth in 3-4 months after the procedure and continue to grow in for up to 18 months.  

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Grafts still present after my transplant

When grafts fall out too early I get worried. I never worry when some hang around longer. If grafts have enough tissue and have good oxygen supply, hydration and are handled delicately during the procedure and are given good post op care - a proportion stick around!