37 year old female, possible upper eyelid surgery. (photos)

Heavy eyelids run in my family and in photos it can make me look tired and angry. Would upper eyelid surgery be a way to open up my eyes or would it be better to go for an eyebrow lift? An eyebrow lift is a much bigger surgery but I wonder if I can achieve a great result with upper eyelid surgery?

Treatment for heavy eyelids

Upper blepharoplasty would help remove the excess skin and hooding on the upper eyelid to help open up the eyes and help the brow to appear less heavy. A brow lift would not address the lids themselves, but it can also open up the eyes and help them appear less heavy.

Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

You have many options for your eyelids and brows

If you have blepharoplasty alone, there is a risk of tethering the brows to a lower position, unless your surgeon understands that sufficient skin must be left for a brow lift in the future. A low brow gives a "closed in" appearance - not at all natural. A brow lift does not have to produce an arched surprised appearance. Be sure to select an Oculoplastic surgeon who is familiar with both blepharoplasty and brow lift, and is willing to help you with the procedure you want without limiting your options in the future. Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid surgery

I believe you would be an excellent candidate for an upper blepharoplasty. It is very common to perform a brow lift, or brow stabilization, in conjunction with the upper bleph. A board certified plastic surgeon who is very familiar with eyelid surgery would need to examine you and discuss your overall goals to determine if both would be needed. A plastic surgeon who is well-trained and experienced in this type of surgery will be able to give you a very natural, refreshed look without looking like you have been operated on. Good luck!

Ashley Gordon, MD

Upper and lower eyelid surgery will benefit you most

You will drive greatest benefit from upper blepharoplasty.  Next to that you need lower eyelid blepharoplasty. Forehead lift will add to the benefit from upper eyelid surgery, thus it is a option that can be exercised in case you desire an ultimate outcome. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

You deserve a very careful consultation.

The most important aspect of that would be a surgeon who carefully listens to your goals.  A conservative endoscopic forehead lift is very powerful and may be an excellent option in conjunction with appropriate eyelid surgery.  In your consultations, you should learn about these options and have a detailed discussion of what options make the most sense for you.

Upper eyelid surgery candidate

The photographs demonstrated hooded upper eyelids, for which an upper blepharoplasty procedure can accomplish significant improvement. The eyebrow position is moderately low, so it is important to at least consider the idea of a brow lift in combination with eyelid surgery. For many examples of both procedures, please see the link and the video below

Full upper eyelids

Many factors contribute to the appearance of the upper eyelids including congenital (inherited), aging, etc.  Thus everyone ages differently and needs different treatment.  This patient would benefit from an upper blepharoplasty and possible Botox to raise her lateral eyebrow..

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Lids and brows

From these pictures you have a couple of issues.  You have some excess skin in the upper lid, but also have a ptosis.  These can be repaired at the same time.  Your brow may also be on the low side. There are many ways to elevate a low brow.  A temporal brow lift would help to elevate the low lateral brow which makes the eyelid look much less "heavy".  You can simulate this by trying some Botox to the outer brow and see if you like the look with a higher brow.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

37 year old female, possible upper eyelid surgery

Whenever a patient asks about their tired eyes, I examine the brow position as it can contribute to the weight on the eyelids. 
It would take an examination of the eyelids, eyebrow position and forehead to determine whether a blepharoplasty vs blepharoplasty and browlift would benefit you the most. The blepharoplasty will produce the biggest change, but the browlift can contribute to the result and a combo surgery would potentially allow the surgeon to perform a less aggressive blepharoplasty. 
I recommend consulting with a surgeon who does both procedures to determine what would be an appropriate treatment for you. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

Upper eyelid surgery or a blepharoplasty is designed to smooth out the bulging fat in the lids and reduce the extra lid skin.  The eyebrows should be at the bone or orbital rim.  Pulling them higher gives a startled appearance.  Less is better in most cases.  Upper lid surgery refreshes and rejuvenates the lid appearance which you would benefit from.  Choose a surgeon is has both cosmetic experience and has an artistic eye.