35 year old male with problem on neck. Any advice? (Photos)

Hello, I am a 35 year old male and I'm very unhappy with my neck. I'm not sure if this is excess skin or fat and what procedures will help improve this? I am slim build so this is not a weight issue, more genetic. I've had it since my 20's and it's getting worse with age. I feel like I have jowls, I wonder if a neck lift will help neck and jawline/cheeks? Any suggestions on what would help at my age? Thanks

35 year old male with problem on neck. Any advice?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek implants, chin implants), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years.  From the photos, your cheeks are flat in the front, there is excess fat around the cheeks (in front and below), jowls are present, the chin is weak as well as the mandibular angles.  These combine to create a rectangularly shaped face that's lacking angularity.  

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.

• Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.

If after the facial shaping, you want to address the "jowls”, these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Chin implant and neck lift procedure

The photographs demonstrated a weak and recessive chin profile along with fatty deposits in the neck. The fatty deposits in the neck most likely located above and below the platysma muscle. In our practice, a neck lift procedure involves removal of both deposits of fat and a platysma plasty. Placement of a small chin implant will help bring the chin forward help patient  facialbalance, proportions and give better structural support to the soft tissues in the neck. For more information and many examples of both procedures, please see the link and the video below

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. The neck appearance you are experiencing is quite common for men, and can be alleviated through minor surgical procedures. The Weekend Neck Lift is a phenomenal option for creating a more youthful appearance by utilizing an innovative technique that marries a few different techniques. I suggest that you move forward by consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 things to think about regarding your neck appearance

Thank you for your question.  There are three main components to your neck's appearance:

1.  Extra fat and bulk under the chin

2.  Extra laxity of the skin and soft tissues 

3.  Bony support of the neck

Your photographs demonstrate that you do have some extra tissue under your chin, which could be addressed with different modalities including liposuction, Kybella, or other less invasive modalities. Your neck also has some characteristics which exacerbate the appearance of that extra tissue.  That is, your chin that is a little retrognathic, which means that it is set a little too far back.  Ideally, a line drawn straight down from the front of her lower lip should touch the front of the chin.  This lack of projection contributes to the sagginess of the tissues under the chin. By using a chin implant, you can improve the balance of your neck profile. You could also correct this using a jaw advancement, but this would be a lot more invasive. 

The second component mentioned above becomes more of an issue as we get older, and this can be addressed by a neck lift. 

Best wishes, MKB

Michael Bowman, MD
Roanoke Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck and jawline

Thank you for your pictures.  The problem here, as others have alluded, is the position of the chin.  That being said, a chin implant alone would not completely satisfy you, but it would go a long way in improving your concerns.  In order to further improve those areas, you want to a) get rid of the fatty tissue under your chin and b) help tighten that skin and muscle.  There are a couple of ways of doing that, and minimally invasive works best in younger patients.  Kybella injections as well as a treatment with ThermiRF can give you dramatic long lasting results when combined with a chin implant to further enhance that jawline and improve the neck contour.  Best of luck.  

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Skin and Platysmal Bands -- VASER Hi Def Liposuction/ThermiRF/ThermiTight, Venus Legacy/Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox/Dysport

This type of neck does best with VASER HI DEF Lipo combined with ThermiRF treatment.  Kybella is an option alternatively or as an adjunct to surgery.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Improving male neck contour

I would recommend chin augmentation along with reduction of the fat pad below the chin. The chin can be improved with an implant or by advancing your chin bone (sliding genioplasty). The fat reduction can be accomplished with liposuction or direct excision during the same procedure. 

Bradford A. Bader, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck/chin positon

You can camaflouge the neck, but the real problem is that your chin is retruded...back a bit.  That is something you were born with and because it does not protrude enough your neck will look saggy with a poor angle much earlier.  You can address the neck if you like through various approaches and I have done that for patients.  However, the real culprit is the chin and that requires a chin advancement either your own bone, or an implant.

Rodney E. Schmelzer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Neck contour

Hello and thank you for your question. There are several options including submental liposuction, necklift, kybella.  The best procedure for you can only be determined through an in-person consultation.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD