2 days post-op tumescent lipo of saddlebags, flanks and inner thighs. How swollen will I be?

I had the surgery 2 days ago, how swollen will i be? I don't see much of a change yet. I am 5'7.5 and weight 140lbs. The surgeon said he removed 3lbs of fat in total. I can see a reducted in outter thighs but i am hoping for more as time goes on. How near my final result am I right now? My hips feel numb to the touch and I am very sore!! thank you!

Too early to judge outcome

It is too early to judge the outcome. You may be doing too much. If you exercise and the swelling gets worse, you need to give it more time to heal. If you can do cardio with no additional swelling, then burn calories and be patient. It will take at least 6 months to see the final results.

It will take weeks to months for you to see your final result. I recommend my patients have deep tissue massages as they heal.  Wear your compression garment as recommended by your surgeon.  I encourage exercise as soon as possible.  Follow your surgeon's post operative instructions.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Liposuction two days ago - not seeing the result?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Swelling begins at surgery and increases for 3 - 5 days.
  • You are probably too swollen to see your result.
  • It takes 6 weeks to see something like your result, 6 months to see the final result.
  • This is how our bodies heal - frustrating but there is no way to change it.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Swelling after liposuction

You should be very swollen at this point. Some people are even larger than before surgery. Rest assured that if your surgeon told you he removed 3 pounds of fat, you will see a noticeable difference once the swelling goes down. You should start seeing a reduction in the swelling in the first few weeks after surgery but it takes at least 6 months or longer for the swelling to completely resolve. Wear your compression and be patient. I'm sure you will get excellent results.

Jennifer Boll, MD
Tempe Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after liposuction

Swelling after liposuction is normal and is maximal during the first several weeks after surgery.  Best of luck.

2 days post op

At two days, you cannot make any judgement about the results of a procedure!  Swelling after surgery increases for the the first 24-48 hrs.  Furthermore, most liposuction is done with the tumescent technique, so fluid has also been injected beneath the skin, and only some, not all, is aspirated with the fat.  If this was done with IV sedation or general anesthesia, you have gotten IV fluid as well, that can contribute to swelling.  I tell my patients that perhaps 70% of the swelling will go away in 6 weeks (yes, weeks) and it will require months for the remainder to resolve.  Continue to wear compression, and try to be patient.  Discuss these concerns with your operative surgeon.  Best of luck with your recovery!  

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Will take time

It will take some time for the results to be better appreciated.
Swelling from the surgery hides the results in the first few weeks.
Will improve with time.
Hang in there.