I am 1 month post op and it feels like the transplanted areas have shredded at 100%, is this normal? (Photos)

I am 1 month post op and it feels like the transplanted areas have shredded at 100%, is this normal? I have attached various pics from 1 week post op to 1 month

Hair transplant post-operative course

After hair transplant it is normal for the hair to go through its growth cycle, which includes shedding of the current hair follicle.  Most patients do not see their full growth of the transplanted hair until around 5-6 months after the procedure.  What you are experiencing is a typical phase of healing after a hair transplant.  If you continue to have concerns regarding the growth of your transplanted hair, you should contact your hair surgeon.

1 month post op

Shedding all of the grafts in 1 month is not unusual. Now you must be patient and wait out the growth which you will see in 4-6 months

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

It is best to contact your doctor if you are having issues after surgery. In general transplanted hairs fall out weeks after

It is best to contact your doctor if you are having issues after surgery.  In general transplanted hairs fall out weeks after surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Is it normal for transplanted hairs to shed?

I tell all my patients to expect their transplanted hairs to shed after about 2 weeks. Sometimes they don't and start growing right away but that isn't the norm in my experience. What determines why occasionally hairs grow right away is not know but it may have to do with recipient skin factors, other patient genetic factors, or follicular unit graft factors (minimal trauma during harvest/transfer/insertion). It is possible that bio-adjuvant therapy (holding solutions, ATP, PRP, post op sprays) may have a role to play in reducing transplanted hair shedding and encouraging early hair growth.

Greg Williams, FRCS (Plast)
London Hair Restoration Surgeon

Graft Shedding after transplant

Its very normal for the majority of the grafts to shed within the first couple of weeks after a hair transplant procedure.  Nothing to be concerned about.  You should start seeing some growth in about 3 months.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shedding of transplanted hair

beatboxbb,It is entirely normal and expected that you may shed some or all of the transplanted hair. This is usually temporary and the transplanted follicles begin to re-grow within the next few months and continue until they are mostly all grown in at about 12 months. So relax, this is the difficult time, but it will past soon!
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Do you mean shed?

It can be normal to shed 100% but its also a good idea to go in for a follow up if you are concerned. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

1 Month post op

Shedding of the  transplanted hairs in between 2-4 weeks  is normal and this is a part of the procedure .Transplanted hairs start to visibly regrow between months 4-6. At month 6-9, a patient may expect to see growth for  80% of the transplants. Again, due to the random cycle of hair growth, not all grafts will start growing at the same time. Initially, the hair my be thinner and finer. It will gain length and density as it matures. 

Full growth from the transplants is usually achieved at 12 months. All the be

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon