2 treatments done for bladder leakage, now problems from Thermiva

For the first 16 days post I was so happy I could hold my bladder for hours then it went back to the beginning I then had the second with no results I am worse sitting standng driving I get a sudden urger and it all comes out.. I have been stuck in the mall and restaurants in ver y embarrassing situations

Urge Incontinence and ThermiVa

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello.  I’m sorry to hear about your recent issues.  As stated by other physicians, you should be seen immediately to be evaluated for a bladder infection.  Whenever and exam is done or the vaginal area is manipulated – especially with gel involved (or whenever you have intercourse or use lubricants of any kind), there is an increased risk of urinary tract infections.  The female urethra is very short and it is very easy for the normal bacteria from the outside to make it’s way inside the bladder and cause an infection which could cause the symptoms you are talking about.

On another note:  For the most part I have counseled patients that ThermiVa is consistently helping patients with stress urinary incontinence which is the kind of urinary incontinence that happens with you laugh, cough, sneeze, or increase your abdominal pressure.  I am also seeing improvement in urinary urgency, which is the sensation of needing to urinate when your bladder is not full.  I am not counseling patients that ThermiVa will necessarily help with urge urinary incontinence which is the kind of incontinence that you are having right now – the kind where you feel a urge to use the pee then you leak all over yourself with no warning.  I think it can reduce the episodes, though, due to a decrease in the inflammatory state in the vagina from treating the atrophy.

One thing you can do, though  is when the urge to urinate strikes you, don’t try to run to the restroom immediately, which often triggers a leak.  Stay where you are.  Contract your kegel muscles (which hopefully have been strengthened by the ThermiVa treatment) and wait for the urge to go away (it may take a little while).  Then hopefully you can go to the restroom in a calm and controlled manner without leaking.  This is another way that ThermiVa can help you in a substantial way with urge incontinence.  Good luck to you.  

Leaking urine after Thermiva #2

Urinary leakage is sometimes worsened by a UTI. Procedures which manipulate at or around the vagina can sometimes cause bladder infections and bladder infections can sometimes cause worsened urinary leakage as their only symptom. Get checked for a UTI. If you have none, see an expert in the evaluation of urinary incontinence (gyn, urogyn, or urologist) for evaluation.

Problems After ThermiVa

ThermiVa can work very well for individuals with mild bladder leakage. It is not a treatment for severe cases. At least 3 treatments are required, but sometimes more may be needed depending on each individual case. Maintenance treatments are also required. Make sure you follow up with your provider and voice your concerns. Best wishes.