One natural feeling, one firm. Is this normal?

Is it normal for one breast to be natural feeling and one to be too firm still at 3 months post silicone breast implant procedure? Will it soften up and be more normal looking like the other one

Breast implants feel different 3 months post-op

At three months post-op it is not uncommon for implants to vary in feel and position.  In some cases one implant will settle or soften faster than the other, the important thing is to continue to follow up with your operating board certified plastic surgeon to ensure that your progress is within normal limits and that you are following your surgeons specific post-operative protocols.  

In my practice I recommend that patients perform daily breast massages that focus on displacement of the breast implant within the breast pocket beginning as early as 5 days post-op.  Breast massages have been proven to help prevent capsular contracture and also help to stretch the muscle and soft tissue allowing it to soften and help the implant settle.  

Please follow up with your doctor to address your concerns, as a physical exam would be advised.  I hope this helps!

Breast implants

Dear lauraleep,

Thank you for your clinical post. You’re only 3 months post breast augmentation and at this time there is often significant differences between one breast and another. It is not uncommon for one or both breasts to still be somewhat high and firmer than you would like and it is also not uncommon for one breast to have dropped and be softer than the other breast, which remains higher and firmer. Aggressive breast massage with massages that focus on the inferior descent of the implant into the pocket and even a breast band that’s worn during the day and at night to help inferior descent will all facilitate a more normalization of the look and feel of both implants. It is quite common to be concerned about one breast both size, shape and firmness at 3 months only to have both breasts soft and normal at 6 months. Visiting with your operative plastic surgeon, reviewing the breast massage exercises I would recommend with or without breast band garment should be your next step.

Generally, revision of a hard, firm capsule that is persistent at more than 6-9 months post-operatively will be corrective 95% of the time.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Different feel between the two breasts 3 months post augmentation.

There are several variables that influence the feel of the breast post breast augmentation (size of implant, implant density, implant location, pocket location, pocket size, capsule).  If the implant is smooth it is possible to soften the breast with massage. Even at 3 months the breast can still soften with more time (another 3 months).  I would not advise a revision at this time.  If the breast does not soften a capsulotomy may be done after 6 months.

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation/ Cohesive Gel Implants / Silicone Implants / Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are somewhat in the early phase of the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Breast differences

The two breasts will inevitably settle differently and stretch differently.  Therefore, one may feel a bit tighter than the other for a while.