My Left Eye Lid is Drooping, What Procedure Would Be Best? (photo)

My left eye lid is droopy. I looked at photographs from when I was younger and it didn't look like that at that time, I noticed it a few years ago so i don't how it happened. It makes me look constantly tired even when I am not so it has started to bother me now and I would like to know what procedure will be best to correct the eyelid, I will attach photographs of both my right and left eye to show you. Thank you

Doctor Answers 6

Droopy Eylid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos it appears you have ptosis. You should see a plastic surgeon to determine the cause of your ptosis. It will typically require surgery to correct. Good luck.

Ptosis Bilateral -Both Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From the static photos that you have provided both eyelid droop.  This is called ptosis while you may notice the left eyelid because it is lower than the right; from your photo the right also sits lower than normal.  I would suggest a complete Ocular Plastic workup to find the cause and the best pathway to remedy the problem.

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

Eyelid ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to your photos, you have a ptosis in your left upper lid. In my past, I have corrected this by repairing the levator mechanism at the time of your eyelid surgery. It gives you a better result with less asymmetry to look at. You can also have this repaired independently. All the best

Eyelid Ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on your photos, it appears you have eyelid ptosis.  This is corrected with surgery.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with lots of experience in this type of surgery, to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

The photographs do suggest upper eyelid ptosis.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are two basic approaches to upper eyelid ptosis.  To determine which procedure you are a candidate for, you need a consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon.  While it is true that the anterior levator is the main lifter muscle of the upper eyelid, often surgery is performed on the back of the eyelid on a muscle called Mueller's muscle.  A fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon will be able to careful assess you and determine which approach is right for you.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Would advise against surgery from the photograph of the eyelids.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I may be missing something but I don't see much asymmetry between the right and left eyes from the photographs provided. Is that assessment is correct I would advise you against surgery.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.