Masseter jaw reduction?

Hiya I have had 45 units injected with botox in both sides of my jaw due to very strong masseter muscles. I have been grinding my teeth for years which I believe had made my masseter muscle really big and made my face look very square. I went for a follow-up appointment at 3 weeks where I was injected another 30 units to my left as it was bulging more when I clenched compared to my right side which I was given 25 more units. how long would it take for me to notice the reduction in my jaw size?

Botox in the masseter muscle NYC

Botox works very well in the masseter musclet and it can take more than one treatment to have this muscle reduced.  It could take a few weeks or months depending on how much facial slimming you desire.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Reducing the masseter jaw

For most patients, 25-30 units injected into each cheek is a great starting point. I might consider injecting a higher dose at the 3 or 4 month mark, but likely not sooner as it takes time to see the results. Be patient, you may need another 1-2 treatments before you really see the difference.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Masseter jaw botox

Botox works well for some people who grind their teeth, but the amounts of Botox typically used are much less than the amounts you are stating. I would recommend working with a physician with experience in this area before you proceed with more units of Botox.

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician

Botox for enlarged masseters

Those are large doses for this problem. I also always inject similar dose bilaterally because if this is not done, it can shift the jaw and cause TMJ. Narrowing will only result if the problem is actually due to the masseters being enlarged. It takes a few weeks to see the results. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox can femininize a squared face from over active chewing muscles

people who grind their teeth or clench can overwork their chewing muscles, and the masseter muscle becomes quite large in some of these patients. This can broaden the lower face making it less tapered and more masculine.  Botox injected into these muscles can relax them and over time make the face less broad.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for masseter reduction

Hello, and thanks for your question. It can take 3-6 months to notice the change in facial contour. Botox only lasts 3-4 months, so you will need to be periodically injected to maintain your result. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Give it Some Time and in the Meantime...

It can take several weeks for final results. Sometimes this is best combined with some fillers to contour the entire jawline or radiofrequency treatments to tighten and shape. Best, Dr. Emer.