Do I need revision rhinoplasty surgery? Could you advise what surgery I would need doing to align my nose? (photos)

I had Rhinoplasty when i was 20 years old to remove a bump, which is now 13 years ago. Now i have noticed that my nose is starting to bend. I have seen photos of other people and i think i could have a deviated septum? I do seem to have a runny nose all the time and constant mucous at the back of my throat. Im terrified of having surgery again as i really thought i would only need to go through it once. Im worried my nose will be too weak to withstand surgery a second time.

Nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Laura1497, from your photo it looks as if you might be R sided dominent tending to push your nose to your left. Very common and in general not something I would operate on. I would recommend you see a good ENT MD and have them look at your septum and get that fixed if you must. One of the things I've learned over 25 years is the enemy of good is better and I think you look pretty good! Good luck!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need a Revision Rhinoplasty?

With your symptoms it is possible that you do have a deviated septum, but I need to see a full set of nasal pictures as described on my website to answer your question. It is very unlikely that your nose is too weak but that can be determined before surgery.

Revision rhinoplasty surgery to realign the nose

A revision rhinoplasty can straighten the nose and make it more symmetrical.  Osteotomies of the nasal bones and spreader grafts of the upper lateral cartilages are performed to straighten the nose and change the external appearance. A deviated septum is repaired with a septoplasty procedure which involves removal of obstructing bone and cartilage in the back of the nose  that  is blocking airflow. A septoplasty will not change the external appearance of those. For many examples and more information, please see the link and  video below

Revision Rhinoplasty 13 Years After the Initial Nose Surgery

You need a personal consultation to determine what needs to be done.  Also, your photo is not enough to show if you have a deviated septum, which in severe cases could lead to breathing problem, sleep apnea, and abnormal airflow.

While it appears that your nose and the rest of your facial elements look lovely, if you are really concerned with your nose only a personal consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon / ENT doctor who has extensive experience in revision nose surgery is the only thing that can help you. 

Good luck and best wishes. 

Revision rhinoplasty

It is almost impossible to tell from photos if you have a deviated septum. I would recommend seeing a local ENT doctor who can evaluate the inside of your nose to address the increased mucus as well as identify if your septum is deviated. They will be your best source of knowledge regarding the necessity of revision surgery. If you do end up having a revision rhinoplasty, there is usually no issue with the 'strength' of the nose.

Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon