I keep having UTI. Does the MonaLisa help with this? I get up at night so many times.

BS ALERT: UTIs are NOT reduced with MonaLisa or FemiLift or any other intravaginal laser treatment

As an expert in this field, I consult with the other surgeons, scientists and biomedical engineers who develop and test these technologies around the world regularly. There is ZERO effect of any vaginal laser currently available anywhere in the world on the atrophy of the urinary tract that accompanies menopause. There is ZERO literature stating that these lasers have any effects on UTIs. There are intra-urethral non-CO2 lasers currently in development outside of the US being tested by colleagues whom I have known for decades, but these are not available yet and they are not being developed to treat UTIs. Don't be misled by those who misunderstand the literature that they read. CO2 lasers have many benefical effects for menopausal vaginal atrophy and I use them frequently, but curing recurrent bladder infections isn't one of them.

The jury is out.

I would recommend that you consult a specialist first as there are many reasons for the symptoms that you listed that are not recurrent UTIs.  Assuming you have culture proven recurrent UTIs (i.e. 3 in 1 year or 2 in 6 months) treatment includes addressing modifiable risk factors (e.g. urinary retention, stones etc) and the following: behavioral changes, vaginal estrogen and suppression  antibiotics.  Vaginal estrogen has been shown in the literature to decrease the risk of recurrent infections by improving atrophy which restores normal vaginal flora (lactobacilli) thus preventing colonization with pathologic bacteria such as e.coli.  In theory, MLT should function in a similar way to decrease the risk of recurrent UTIs. That said, there is no literature to support this theory and therefore I do not recommend as a primary treatment.  

Patrick Nosti, MD, FACOG, FPMRS
Shawnee Mission Urogynecologist

MonaLisa Touch (MLT) for frequent UTIs and frequency of urination at night

Often, the diagnosis of UTI is mistaken when the chief complaint is frequency of urination both at night and during the day. If there is truly a UTI (urinary tract infection), MLT will not help and the UTI must be treated with an appropriate antibiotic. However, if the frequency is secondary to vaginal atrophy and overactive bladder (OAB) syndrome, the MLT treatments can prove to be very beneficial. 

An accurate diagnosis is essential before making a decision about treatment.

UTI

As an expert with dual board certification in Urology and Female Pelvic medicine and Reconstructive surgery. It is important to be properly evaluated with some radiology study and possibly cystoscopy ( looking in the bladder) prior to deciding on treatment. I have found postmenopausal women who have faile Estrogen therapy and other conventional medical therapies benefit from the MonaLisa. It can restores a normal vaginal pH and Lacobacillius return which reduce the recurrent UTI risk.

MonaLisa is not indicated for Recurrent UTIs

You need to see a urologist or urogynecologist for an evaluation. Don't let someone sell you on laser treatments without a proper workup.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Recurrent UTI

Since OBGYNs attempt to treat this with estrogen vaginal cream, we would love to see the same effect with MLT. The former is very variable, and the latter (MLT) equally so. Also, since UTI is related to sexual activity in many women, the increased likelihood of this after MLT may contribute to a difficult asssessment of improvement. I hope MLT is shown to help with this difficult problem--theoretically it should--the evidence is still anecdotal.

Recurrent urinary tract infections

Recurrent urinary tract infections have been reduced with the MonaLisa Touch treatment. Patients have also discovered a reduction in their frequency of urination during the nighttime. The treated vaginal tissue below and around the urethra is develops more collagen and elastin as part of the reason patients find symptom improvement. These improvements are have been shown in the latest U.S. studies just published this year.  I encourage you to seek an expert in the MonaLisa Touch to learn all the benefits with this simple office treatment.