I am 21 years old and very unhappy with my breast shape - could a mastopexy provide worthwhile improvement? (Photos)

Since I can remember I have never been happy with my breasts. Even in a bra I always feel the need to reposition them to prevent them from looking saggy and even with a push up bra I can never achieve 'cleavage'. I wear a 36DD bra but always feel that this is a lie as my size really reduces without wearing a bra. I would love to find a permanent solution to make my breasts fuller and not sag, whilst also reducing the size of my areola.

I am 21 years old and very unhappy with my breast shape - could a mastopexy provide worthwhile improvement?

Thank you for your question and photo.  You do have mammary ptosis or sagging and a breast lift properly done can improve the shape of your breasts.  You may want to consider an implant as well for fullness above the nipple areola.  To learn more please read below:

You would definately benefit from Mastopexy

Lifting your breasts and reducing the areolas will give you what you desire--perkier, better positioned breasts on your chest. The caveat is they will be reduced in size and will be smaller in a bra. Therefore, some consideration for adding projection and volume with breast implants needs to be made. Depending on your goals and desires, this can be done simultaneously with the lift, or staged for a later date when you feel you are ready. Realize that you need to find a surgeon you feel comfortable with, who has experience in performing these procedures, and is able to provide appropriate risks and benefits so you can make an informed decision for this elective procedure.

Good luck!

Breast Lift

Hi.  Yes, a breast lift is a perfect procedure for you.  It will make your breasts less saggy, more youthful in shape, and reduce the size of your areola.  It looks like you would be a great candidate!  Best of luck!

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Would a mastopexy provide a worthwhile improvement?

Yes, a mastopexy would make your areolas smaller and reposition them higher. It  would also reshape your breasts to a less saggy and more youthful appearance. Breast implants do no lifting but they will provide a larger size and more fullness, if that is your desire. Good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift with Implants

Thank you for your question and for sharing appropriate photos. You seem to be a good candidate for a breast lift with implants. This procedure will reshape, lift and give volume to your breasts. Your surgeon can also address the size of you areolas to meet your goals. Make sure you're working with a  board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Mastopexy with implants

Hello, thanks for your inquiry and for posting your pictures. You would definitely would benefit from a breast lift with implants, which will reduce the size of your areolas, would give you a better looking breasts with fullness and roundness. 

Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey! 

Respectfully, 

Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Lift and implant would help

Thank you for your question and photos.  A breast lift can certainly improve your breast shape, position, and symmetry, as well as reduce the size of your areolas.  You mention that you desire fullness.  A mastopexy does a great job of repositioning the nipple and reshaping the breast, but really falls short on delivering fullness to the breast.  An implant added at the time of lift will go a long way towards improving the appearance of your breast.  Good luck.

21 years old and very unhappy with my breast shape...would a mastopexy help?

You would greatly benefit from a breast of mastopexy in order to lift your breasts and reshape them while reducing the size of your areolae.  Your breasts are large enough that you may not need implants...their only purpose in you would be to provide additional upper pole fullness, although you must accept the issues with implants such as capsular contracture and eventual need for replacement. Because of the degree of lift required and the very large size of your areolae, it would be safer to have an anchor lift first, and consider implants at a later time after you have seen what your results are like without them.

Breast Reduction

Yes a mastopexy would help. My recommendation is to also reduce some of your breast mass too, to help with shape and increase durability of the result. If you live or are interested in coming to the States, then visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in breast surgery. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast Sagging

You are very unfortunate with the amount of breast laxity you have.

It can be improved and your areolar size reduced by mastopexy.  I would suggest you make an appointment with a member of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, so that you can be counselled properly.

Douglas McGeorge, MBChB
Liverpool Plastic Surgeon