Gynecomastia surgery. Is my healing OK? It still looks kinda big (Photo)

I just want to ask if I'm doing well after surgery, it's been a week and three days, I'm in another country now and can't contact my doctor. So is my healing ok, cause it still looks kinda big ? By the way sorry for bad english.

Healing & Recovery after Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your questions and photo. At about 10 days from surgery you can expect to have quite a bit of swelling in the area still. Are you wearing some type of compression garment? Even though you are out of the country, I would still try to limit your activity and follow the instructions given to you by your Surgeon. I also recommend seeing your Surgeon for a follow-up when you are back. Best of luck. 

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon